how long does soap last

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
I just read an article on how long different oils last--most were 1-2 years. Does the soap last longer than the shelf life of the oils being used?

Hello Marilyn :)

Yes, I have soaps in my "test" stash going back well over a decade (I usually keep one from a batch when it is a new design, method or recipe).

The oils that went into these soaps (olive, almond, coconut etc.) would not have lasted nearly as long as these soaps do :)
Thanks!! I was hoping that was the answer :)

SaltedFig give you the answer
but remember that this is true only for saponified oils, so if you make high overfat recipes you increase the risk of having trouble of rancidity of the not saponified oils

I just read an article on how long different oils last--most were 1-2 years. Does the soap last longer than the shelf life of the oils being used?
This question reminded me that when I was a child I used to collect soaps from different hotels (was really easy to get me a "souvenir" when you went on a trip....). I recently found some of those soaps from the late 70's and they're all fine! Some scents haven't even faded!

Soap can last a long time. I have salt soap I made 8 years ago with a 20% SF and they even have some scent left. I have soap that old as well and they are great soap. Some the scent has faded but some are still pretty strong. Depends on your recipe and oils used. Short shelf life oils May go bad.

SaltedFig give you the answer
but remember that this is true only for saponified oils, so if you make high overfat recipes you increase the risk of having trouble of rancidity of the not saponified oils
are you talking about superfatted soaps?

soap can last forever. it is a sodium salt. what DOESN'T last are the extras. so look at them. the super fat ratio and what fats you use. remember, just because you put one fat in LAST does not mean it is the only fat that is excess. think about what your fragrance is. most essentials hold but some don't and all, over time, will fade.

So, when thinking about your shelf life, you must think about EVERYTHING you put into it. and that includes water. if you use anything other than distilled, the dissolved minerals in your water can combine with your lye leaving much more oil to go rancid as well as dissolved minerals that can react directly with the fats to cause rancidity. ask me how I know.

anyway, hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back