how do you use shampoo soap on long hair?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosey

Reaction score
I have a stupid question. How do you use shampoo soap on long hair? Hubby just uses my soap straight on his head and that works for him but not for me. Do you just lather a bunch on a pouf or what?

Rosey said:
I have a stupid question. How do you use shampoo soap on long hair? Hubby just uses my soap straight on his head and that works for him but not for me. Do you just lather a bunch on a pouf or what?

When I had dreads thats what I used to do and it worked pretty well.. .either that or id just rub the bar all over my head to build lather and then work it from there... its not too hard once ya get it going..

I have to work up a lather on my hands first, or not really a lather per se, more that I have to work off a layer of the soap... which makes it REALLY hard to use a salt bar for this purpose, but my hair does get really clean with a salt bar.

My hair is just LONG (getting CLOSE to my waist... I need a haircut!) and straight.

I'm gonna make some actual shampoo as soon as the rest of my supplies get in...

I had a hard time with it at first. My hair is about the middle of my back, first I lather the ends directly with the soap then I lather my hands a few times to get the rest of my head. I really love it!

Can't use soap on my long hair; it's so thick and curly it never lathers all over. And it makes my hair tangle so bad! :cry:
I do have all the ingredients on hand to make a conditioning shampoo though; so maybe I'll try that this week...

I make beer shampoo bars and had alot of testers for them. Trying different ways myself and from getting feedback the hands down favorite method is to rub the bar on your hair then work it to a lather.

Bruce

dagmar88 said:
I do have all the ingredients on hand to make a conditioning shampoo though; so maybe I'll try that this week...

I have fine thin hair down to mid back (boulder holder strap length) and would love a recipie for a decent shampoo. Care to share? Please???

It is fairly easy, but as the recipe I have on hand is in Dutch and some stuff we have is not available in the usa, you'd have to do a bit of figuring it out yourself :(
You need
-water (about 60%)
-a detergent like sodium laureth sulfate, cocoamidopropyl betaine, disodium sodium sulfosucinate. There are a lot of others, and they all have different properties.
-some (about 5%) peg 200 hydrogenated glyceryl palmate to give it some thickness.
-a pinch of citric acid

then you could add different ingredients like hair guar, wheat protein, color, scent, and preservatives.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm sure someone over here will be able to give you a decent recipe...

I haven't had much luck with a shampoo bar. I had to lather in my hands, rub it on, later, rub, lather, rub, lather, rub... you get the picture. My husband loves his shampoo bar that I buy but he has super short hair and it doesn't take much effort.

I have long hair and the way that works for me is to wet my hair , rub the bar on my hair , rinse and repeat, the second time the lather is plentiful .

HTH

Kitn

hmmm, I dont like the feel of the soaps on my hair, which goes down my back. But it is nice on my husband's and son's short hair. It tends to weigh down mine, and gets thick, and just not nice....

I wasn't sure if I was the only one or not.

I tried it once and I don't think I got enough on there. My hair is just past my shoulder and thin but I have a lot of it.

I'm going to have to try again now that I have more bubbly soap

I just made my first batch of liquid soap last night and I added a little bit of a "natural" surfactant and used it as shampoo along with some conditioner I made last night and so far I'm pretty pleased!

kittywings said:
I just made my first batch of liquid soap last night and I added a little bit of a "natural" surfactant and used it as shampoo along with some conditioner I made last night and so far I'm pretty pleased!

sweeeeeeeeeet! I have wanted to do that for so long but havent delved into the KOH side of things yet...

as for the surfactant.... Coconut based? if not, I think there is one... might be worth some research but I remember reading it on a bottle and filing it in my memory....somwhere.... just let me find it lol

Decyl glucoside is the one I already have
(Decyl glucoside is produced by the reaction of glucose from corn starch with the fatty alcohol decanol which is derived from coconut)

I just ordered Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Disodium Cocoyl Glutamate, and Disodium Cocoamphodiacetate.

From what I've read, I think they're pretty much derived from coconut oil and something else. They were all listed as low to no hazard on the sites that judge that sort of thing.

It may be overkill getting all of them, but it seemed like each shampoo had a bunch of diff. surfactants in them... we shall see!

Sunkawakan said:
dagmar88 said:

I have fine thin hair down to mid back (boulder holder strap length) and would love a recipie for a decent shampoo. Care to share? Please???

I can't use my homemade soaps for shampoo. They all leave my hair feeling heavy and stiff. If you're not opposed to using surfactants www.theherbarie.com has some great recipes for shampoo and conditioners in their "formulary" section. I've tried several of them and especially love "Amy's Ultra Conditioner" Hope that helps.

A question about making my own:

Here's my current regime:

A mixture of Dr. Bronner's baby castile, the liquid, and purified water, with olive oil and glycerine for shampoo.

In an 8 ounce bottle: scant 1/4 cup liquid "castile" soap
1 - 2 teaspoons extra-light olive oil
1 - 2 teaspoons vegetable glycerine
purified water to fill bottle.

I shake the bottle each time before I use it. Shampoo twice.

Then:

Use 1/4 - 1/3 cup full strength apple cider vinegar as rinse.

Rinse hair with cool water.

How would using a shampoo bar or home-made soap be different?

Making my own shampoo is next on my list. I don't want to make something I won't want to use. My hair is just past my shoulder blades, wavy, coarse, and "knock on wood", still plentiful.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back