How do you tell if something is rancid.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yadonm

Reaction score
I made a soap today with Shea Butter that didn't smell right to me. My husband said it smelled fine so I went ahead with it but I'm not sure. It doesn't smell right to me. Do you just go by your nose or dies Shea butter smell funky?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Shea butter has a very unusual scent. Some people really like it, other not so much. I personally can't stand the scent of shea but I've never been able to smell it in finished soap.

Perhaps that will be answer. I'm just not quite sure. It joust doesn't smell right.

Shea Butter has a really long shelf life so unless you stored it somewhere really hot and humid, perhaps in the sun, it should be fine....

savonierre you taste it? You are a braver soul that I.... Mind you I make a lip butter that is almost 100% shea butter and it tastes okay.... hmmmm

Thanks, I'm hoping that's all it is. I've only had it for a little over month and it's been in a cool dark place. It says it's pure, unprocessed Shea butter and maybe that's why?

I use unrefined Shea all the time and I agree it has a pretty funky smell and I definitely have had some that has a much stronger smell than others. If you've only had it a month I would seriously doubt it's bad. I've kept it at room temp for a year or more with no problems.

Latest posts

Back