How do you ship your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm trying to determine the best/most economical way to ship soaps in a box. I have searched this website for info related to this question, but the threads are fairly old. I have also looked at USPS, but their small boxes are too small and then the next box up in size is a huge leap up that is way too big for the number of soaps I usually ship (10-14 bars). Do y'all use USPS boxes or buy your own?

I have always used USPS flat rate shipping boxes...the cost even for the medium is still pretty cheap compared to sending by weight. I did have a med. box pretty full-28 bars and it would have been $44 if I had mailed in any other way than flat rate.
Thanks, Nanette. I was leaning toward that. I wish I hadn't bought so many boxes from Uline before consulting y'all. Dag Nabbit!

I have also looked at USPS, but their small boxes are too small and then the next box up in size is a huge leap up

I think the same but like Nanette said its still cheaper but my practical side keeps thinking there has to be a cheaper way

if you get set up as a business and get the machines from them I believe you get a discount but if you don't ship a lot I wonder if it would be worth it

Last edited by a moderator:
if you get set up as a business and get the machines from them I believe you get a discount but if you don't ship a lot I wonder if it would be worth it
I’ll have to take another look at their scale set up. I think you use Click-N-Ship with that. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I mostly ship USPS Regional Rate as it's cheaper in many cases than flat rate. At least for me.
I looked at the regional rate boxes, too, but I’m shipping out of state and when I plugged in the sending and receiving zip codes, it said they were not in the same region. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
i was told on my last job that regional boxes are cheaper if sent to the outer states--but I am not positive. I would suggest going to the post office and going over it all with them

Do you have your own account with USPS to set up shipping at home? Regional rate box postage is only available if you use click & ship at home. When I am in the click and ship menu I select box and add the weight and addresses in the menu. That causes a section to appear that I can click for available rates for various box sizes. I can find the regional rate box and see if it is cheaper than a flat rate box. I find the regional rate boxes always cheaper for about 500 miles from my address and sometimes more; will depend on where you live and where you ship. I can definitely ship to surrounding states cheaper than a flat rate box. I can pack 12 bars easily in a Regional box A.

Do you have your own account with USPS to set up shipping at home? Regional rate box postage is only available if you use click & ship at home. When I am in the click and ship menu I select box and add the weight and addresses in the menu. That causes a section to appear that I can click for available rates for various box sizes. I can find the regional rate box and see if it is cheaper than a flat rate box. I find the regional rate boxes always cheaper for about 500 miles from my address and sometimes more; will depend on where you live and where you ship. I can definitely ship to surrounding states cheaper than a flat rate box. I can pack 12 bars easily in a Regional box A.
Thanks, Lucy Cat. Most of my out of state shipments are too far away to qualify for Regional. Darn.

OK so HOW do you guys pack soaps--so far I seem to have more bubble wrap than soap. I am wondering if the soaps are stacked next to each other with nothing in between but are tight in the box is that good enough. I wanna ship more than normal to my son this time

OK so HOW do you guys pack soaps--so far I seem to have more bubble wrap than soap. I am wondering if the soaps are stacked next to each other with nothing in between but are tight in the box is that good enough. I wanna ship more than normal to my son this time
The other day I packed a bunch of soaps like a jigsaw puzzle in a box. They were nice and tightly fit together. The first thing my husband asked was, “What if they get dropped? There’s no padding.” With that said, I repacked everything into a larger medium flat rate box with stuffing I recycled from a shipment of stuff I received.

Kari, You used the word "qualify" on regional rates. I don't think there is a qualification (other than weight on each type of box). I think you have to check each location/weight with your package. I live in Arkansas and ship using regional rate to a customer in New York, Michigan and Arizona but use flat rate to a customer in Wyoming and Maine.

Latest posts

Back