How do you ship your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kari, You used the word "qualify" on regional rates. I don't think there is a qualification (other than weight on each type of box). I think you have to check each location/weight with your package. I live in Arkansas and ship using regional rate to a customer in New York, Michigan and Arizona but use flat rate to a customer in Wyoming and Maine.
I plugged in a 5-pound weight package going from my zip in NC to a place in Ohio and the formula said no can do. So I gave up. However, per amd’s Suggestion I discovered that my small ULine boxes do indeed fit into a flat rate padded mailer. Now I just have to figure out what to do with my medium-sized ULine boxes.

I'm trying to determine the best/most economical way to ship soaps in a box. I have searched this website for info related to this question, but the threads are fairly old. I have also looked at USPS, but their small boxes are too small and then the next box up in size is a huge leap up that is way too big for the number of soaps I usually ship (10-14 bars). Do y'all use USPS boxes or buy your own?

I use the Flat Rate Priority (2nd Day) Boxes from USPS and I order them online since there is a bigger selection than what you find at the post office. The boxes are free and it's easier to set up shipping since you have fewer factors to consider. Right now, I have just soap to ship so what price to charge is based on the number of bars I know will fit in what size box and the cost of that box.

Priority Mail offers a bigger selection of boxes, and prices are based on weight and zone so you would be able to offer your customers a more economical rate.

Eventually I hope to expand my product line to include bath salts, sugar and salt scrubs, face masks and seasonal body butters which will change my shipping needs, but that is at a minimum, six months down the road for just the bath salts and a year for the rest, so I will cross that bridge then.

Pirate ship has been the best prices for me. You can ship USPS through them priority at a cheap cost with something called Priority cubic, you measure the box you want to use and pirate ship gives you several options to ship. Ive found them cheaper than paypal or the usps site. (They also will show you UPS and Fedex Prices)

Back