How do YOU sanitize

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup, my hub used to work for a company that also manufactued bulk cosmetics & soap. They employees looked like martians, wearing all kinds of protective gear and serile suits.
They'd store their packaging in a clean place and use it when needed.

I think it would depend on WHERE you get your bottles too....
I asked the place I bought from if thier bottles were sanitized and they said no, they weren't.

So, does everyone santitize thier lids and caps and pumps too?
How do you sanitize a pump? I've been wondering about this. I bought in bulk, they came sealed and I transfered them to a clean, new giant ziploc back. But I cut the tubes and then spray with rubbing alcohol, let dry and then cap off the bottle.

x

my suggestion?

when all else fails, contact the REPUTABLE supplier and ask them about sterilization.

last fall i bought a bunch of jars and bottles from www.ebottles.com and they said that as long as the product was left in the bags and stored in a clean area and handled correctly, they did not need pre-sterilization.

www.sks-bottles.com said the same thing. :D

I'd think that anything safe for homebrew sanitization would be safe for cosmetics.

Not necessarily - it could react with something in a product to produce a dangerous chemical, pH could be an issue, etc. Further, even if safe its not necessarily approved, and cosmetics are regulated.
Norai said:
I'd think that anything safe for homebrew sanitization would be safe for cosmetics.

alcohol ain't a great sanitizer. it's only effective if it's allowed contact with the area for at least 10 seconds (which means WET for at least 10 seconds. good and wet.)

I think the main point here is use a REPUTABLE supplier & PROPER storage/ handling methods. If you get them somewhere dirty or allow them to get dirty when you are in possession of them... your problems are far bigger than this little thread.

Do it right the first time... get it from the right place & you will not have to be swimming backwards trying to fix what should have never been wrong to start with.

It is your choice if you want to sterilize the containers.

If you do, there are a few options available to you.

1. Dip the containers into Hydrogen Peroxide and allow to dry. Once the containers are dry, you can fill them.
2. Dip the containers into a solution of bleach and water (1 tablespoon bleach per 1 gallon water). You will have to rinse the containers in water before they can be used, because the bleach will interfere with your product's color and scent.
3. Use a No Rinse Sanitizer like Star-San Sanitizer or other such products. This may not work if you have really hard water. You can find products like this a local home brewing supply store or online.

I hope this helps!

carebear said:
alcohol ain't a great sanitizer. it's only effective if it's allowed contact with the area for at least 10 seconds (which means WET for at least 10 seconds. good and wet.)

Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't alcohol be a great sanitizer? Even if the bottle stayed wet for a while the alcohol would evaporate rather quickly, wouldn't it?

I do sanitze with alcohol. I get about three big bottles and put the cosmetic bottles in so they are thoroughly covered for about five minutes. I pull them out and let them air dry upside down. I figure this is better than not doing anything to them. I might be wrong. But the product I have had tested, has come back with no microbes. Maybe it would have anyway. Who knows.

pink-north said:
carebear said:

Forgive my ignorance, but why wouldn't alcohol be a great sanitizer? Even if the bottle stayed wet for a while the alcohol would evaporate rather quickly, wouldn't it?

There are particular microbes that LOVE alcohol and it is not reliable as a sanitizer as compared to other methods.

Many confuse the two terms of sterilize and sanitize, so I've added the correct definitions.

Sanitize: to free from dirt, germs, etc.
Sterilize: to destroy microorganisms in or on, usually by bringing to a high temperature with steam, dry heat, or boiling liquid.

Most of our containers can't handle the temperatures required to sterilize, so we sanitize instead.

Back