How do you mix oxide or any powered color in your soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiristia

Reaction score
Stupid question I know. I have been mixing them with a spoon full of the traced soap to get them liquid before I add in however much I want colored.
What I'm doing does not seem to me to work very well. It takes a lot of mixing.

Is this right? Or should I use a little reserved oil?

Yesterday I made a batch I wanted to be a light aqua. I mixed a blue and green oxide together before adding it to the batch. Should I have done them separately? It looked a nice color when I molded it. But when I cut it today it seemed to me to be much darker that is was when it went in the mold.

Tiristia said:
Stupid question I know. I have been mixing them with a spoon full of the traced soap to get them liquid before I add in however much I want colored.
What I'm doing does not seem to me to work very well. It takes a lot of mixing.

Is this right? Or should I use a little reserved oil?

Yesterday I made a batch I wanted to be a light aqua. I mixed a blue and green oxide together before adding it to the batch. Should I have done them separately? It looked a nice color when I molded it. But when I cut it today it seemed to me to be much darker that is was when it went in the mold.

What I do is put some of the oil about 1 oz and put it in a small cup I them add my mica or oxide and mix well. Then add small drops to the soap... If your batch gelled the color will be much darker. also if you want to go for pastels you may want to try adding some titanium dioxide to your batch. Some colors tend to go dark and for those colors I have found that adding a bit of titanium dioxide does the trick.

Back