How do make Citronella candles?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry S

Reaction score
I would like to make some citronella candles to put out on my porch so the mosquitoes don’t eat us alive in the evenings. I just need to know where I can purchase the oil and if plain paraffin canning wax can be used to make these candles. I’m a soaper on this forum and would like to try my hand at making these candles…
Any help would be appreciated…
Jerry S

I'm not sure about the type of wax, but citronella oil is incredibly easy to find. Any lawn and garden store should have it. It's the same stuff that you use in tiki torches, I believe.

Bug Repelling Candles
When mosquitoes season is upon us, it’s a good idea have some insect repellent candles handy! Choose Essential Oils that have insect repellent properties to add to your wax – it’s as simple as that!
While these candles can be made in buckets or on torches, here’s an easy recipe for container candles or votives. They’re small, portable and very effective.

Remember, it's o.k. if they smoke. You will want a large burning pool. The key here is to get the scent out in the air!
Remember to burn these candles outside only!
What you need:
Container Wax
Double Boiler
Pouring Pitcher
Metal Spoons / whisk
Wicks
Container: Heavy glass, coffee mugs, tea cups, Mason jars etc the trick is to choose a container that can stand the heat. Wax is extremely hot, fragile glass can actually break under heated pressure.)
Wax Thermometer
Wick Centering tool or dowel (A pencil can be substituted)
Paring Knife
Newspaper (to cover your work surface and help with clean up)
Optional:
Dyes (Liquid or Solid)
Essential Oils 5%-10% of product
You can add pure citronella or blend with, Cajeput, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemongrass or Clove (or any other EO that has insect repellent properties).
Make sure Citronella is about 1/3 of your blend
Wick Preparation:
Refer to wick selection guide to choose your wick.

Un-primed wicks require additional preparation.
1) Cut wick to desired length.
2) Soak wick in melted wax. Ensure that it is thoroughly soaked, approximately 5 minutes.
3) Allow wick to dry completely prior to use. Laying it out on a sheet of wax paper until it has hardened is usually recommended.

Using the sealing putty / glue dots / hot glue gun, position you wick in the center of your container.

If you’re using a glass container, you may want to trace it onto a piece of paper, figure out where your center is and place your glass containers on top to perfectly center your wick every time!
Container Preparation:
1) Position your wick
2) To help prevent "wet spots" (which are not actually "wet", they’re just areas where part of the wax has separated from the jar, and part is still touching). Pre-heat your containers. If you're just making one or two, you can easily do that with the heat gun. If you're making more than just a couple of candles, place your containers on a cookie sheet into a lightly warm oven - about 150 degrees is just right - warm enough to heat the containers, cool enough so as to not melt the wicks. (You should be able to pick them up with your hands)
3) Secure the other end of your wick with centering tool or tie it around dowel

Preparing Wax:
Melting temperatures depend on type of wax being used as well as type of mold or container hot wax is being poured into.
1. Wax should be heated over a double boiling not in a microwave as this can cause splattering and overheating and prove to be quite dangerous.
2. Stir colour into melted wax a little at a time. To test the colour, drop a small amount of the melted wax onto a white plate & place it in the freezer for a few minutes. Once hardened you will be able to check to see if the colour is what you want, if not add more.
3. Essential oils are also added once wax is completely melted 5% up to 10% per pound of wax, stir in to distribute evenly. Make sure you stir for at least two minutes otherwise, you may end up with uneven distribution of fragrance or color.
4. Once the wax reaches the prescribed temperature (see manufacturer’s instructions), it is now ready for pouring into containers.
5. Once the candles are fully cooled – at least 24 hours for better results, trim the excess wick to about 1/4". Let the candles cure for a couple more days before burning them to get the best scent throw and even burning.
6. To avoid tunnelling, let your candle burn an hour for each inch in its diameter (3 hours for a 3in diameter candle)

Tips for Cleaning up
1. Pour excess wax into an old pan lined with wax paper – you can reuse the wax later.
2. Place metal items on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper or aluminum foil and put in a 150°F oven for about 15 minutes. Do not heat the over 150°F!
3. To clean up glass containers, put them in the freezer: the wax will shrink and come out easily.
4. If wax is spilled on a carpet, apply ice to make it harder, scrape off as much as possible and then iron with paper towels until all the wax is gone.
Candle Making Cautions
1) Have a bucket of ice cold water close by in case of splatter – you can quickly submerge your hand or arm. Also keep a small bottle of Lavender Essential Oil to relieve from burns.
2) Candle making is a flammable hobby. Invest in a fire extinguisher and keep it handy.
3) Do not use water to put out wax that catches on fire. Smother the fire with baking soda.
4) Never pour wax down the drain (unless you’re married or know a plumber!)
5) Never add fragrance to a burning candle
6) Keep wicks trimmed to avoid large flames and smoking
7) Burn candles away from drafts
8) Keep candles out of strong light – their color would fade.
9) Burn candles upright in a container or holder
10) Make sure you never leave lit candles unattended.

**Every combination of mold, wax, dye, fragrance and wick must be tested for burn quality.

The above suggestions are only suggestions, your results may vary. Testing and experimenting are the only way to achieve the effects and results you desire. Be sure to follow all safety precautions and directions recommended by the manufacturer of the tools, materials and equipment you use.

Wow Catmendi! This is an extremely informative post. I love the idea about centering the wick in a glass container & the clean up tips!!! Thanks!

Back