hot process soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aditya369

Reaction score
hi i am doing a hot process soap with bentonite clay but while cooking it is taking more than three hours and dont know how long it will
my recipe is
coconut oil 12.8oz
olive oil 12.8oz
castor oil 6.4oz
bentonite clay 2 tbsp
lye 4.86oz
water 10.56oz
can u guys plz help me whats the problem is

That is a lot of coconut oil and a LOT of castor oil. Unless you are balancing with a higher than average lye discount that soap should be very drying and sticky. As for how long it should take to cook, does you soap pass the zap test now?

Can you give me a list of oils/fats you have on hand or are easily attainable in you country?

If this is your first soaping experience I highly recommend using cold process as it is simpler process.

Do you have access to any hard oils like tallow, lard or palm oil? Using all soft oils will make a softer bar that is not as long lasting in the shower.

I would suggest smaller batches of around 1000 grams as you are experimenting (it's cheaper that way).

Using the oils you have I suggest...

Coconut Oil - 200 grams
Olive Oil - 750 grams
Castor Oil - 50 grams

Such high amounts of Olive Oil with slow cure greatly bars will be better after a few month long cure), but I didn't want to compensate with Canola Oil as that would make the bar even softer and can shorten the shelf life of your soap greatly. On the up side, this will make a bar that is quite conditioning.

Latest posts

Back