Hot Process Liquid Castile Soap (trouble)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Native Bird

Reaction score
I added 1.1oz of lye instead of 9.35oz is there any saving it? I used 16oz coconut oil, 24oz olive, 32oz water. It started out like milk and when nothing much happened I left it over night at 150degrees. it is now golden and chunky. Thats a lot of oil to throw out.

I added 1.1oz of lye instead of 9.35oz is there any saving it? I used 16oz coconut oil, 24oz olive, 32oz water. It started out like milk and when nothing much happened I left it over night at 150degrees. it is now golden and chunky. Thats a lot of oil to throw out.
LOL That IS a lot of oil to throw out! What were you thinking?! (Just teasin' ya)
You're in luck... there may be a way of saving it. Mosey on over to RDak's experiment here:

OK a Crazy Idea

He/She is experimenting with using some of the KOH to make the paste and reserving some of the KOH to use in the Dilution phase. Makes sense to me. So, what I would suggest to you is to make up a batch of KOH solution using the missing amount of KOH. Warm the paste back up. Add the amount of boiling water you intend to use for the dilution water; add the KOH solution. Say a quick prayer to the soaping gods and hope it works! GOOD LUCK!

PS: Use your head and be patient. Don't panic. Just think it through as you go along. Might take all day; might not. ???

If it were my soap, I would measure out the missing KOH and slowly add the dry KOH to the soap batter. (The soap doesn't need more water, it just needs the KOH.) Sprinkle some of the dry KOH over the surface of the soap batter, stir until the solid particles are dissolved, add a little more KOH, stir, and so on. Once the KOH is incorporated, you may need to bring the batter to trace as you would for a regular batch of soap paste. Finish the soap as normal.

LOL That IS a lot of oil to throw out! What were you thinking?! (Just teasin' ya)
You're in luck... there may be a way of saving it. Mosey on over to RDak's experiment here:

OK a Crazy Idea

He/She is experimenting with using some of the KOH to make the paste and reserving some of the KOH to use in the Dilution phase. Makes sense to me. So, what I would suggest to you is to make up a batch of KOH solution using the missing amount of KOH. Warm the paste back up. Add the amount of boiling water you intend to use for the dilution water; add the KOH solution. Say a quick prayer to the soaping gods and hope it works! GOOD LUCK!

PS: Use your head and be patient. Don't panic. Just think it through as you go along. Might take all day; might not. ???
Thank you, for trying. Basically, I was so preoccupied with not messing up, I messed up. I don't mean to be an askhole, I decided to ditch it. It cooked all night and I think so much had evaporated it wasn't worth trying to figure out how much KOH I would need again.

Thank you, for trying. Basically, I was so preoccupied with not messing up, I messed up. I don't mean to be an askhole, I decided to ditch it. It cooked all night and I think so much had evaporated it wasn't worth trying to figure out how much KOH I would need again.
You're very welcome, Native Bird! I hafta say, tho, I hate to see anyone ditch a batch when it can be saved. My heart breaks because I feel so passionate about it. That being said, I totally know how you feel. It's agonizing when you try so hard to "not mess up" and then made some dumb mistake that could have been avoided. Been there, done that!!! LOL Next time, before ditching a batch, don't be afraid or too embarrassed to ask for help. You're among friends here, like me, who have been in your shoes -- in my case -- more often than I care to admit! I could have figured the KOH amount for you -- so could DeeAnna or any number of other LS'ers in the group. We're here to help!

Failure is the best teacher. Carry on, my dear!

It would have been the same amount as the original amount - the amount you put. And, if it had evaporated a lot of water (because that is what evaporated, not the KOH, not the oils), you just add water back to dilute the KOH. I would have mixed it 1:1. But, please remember in the future, that unlike bar soaps, liquid soap is almost always fixable as long as you know what you added. So, no adding things willy-nilly. Come ask first.

Also, just so you know, we have all forgotten something. Every. Last. One. Of. Us.
Every one of us have made what we considered egregious errors.
None of us were born knowing how to do this.
We all learned how to be sure we got each ingredient correct.
You will too.

Latest posts

Back