Hot lye method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It isn't cured after it is finished. But it will definitely be zap free b/c it has gone though full gel. Its just like HP in that regard.

FYI, it takes just as long to do this in the microwave and I find it to be a bit safer. I like crock pot and microwave hot process. I don't think I would try this though. I also think I would get bored/impatient and want to walk away.

I bet this would work with almost any recipe. I do microwave HP with pure OO soap and it really doesn't take more than 10 min.

Hi Galaxy,
This has nothing to do with this thread, but I was looking for someone who HP's. I made my first HP batch yesterday and cut it this morning. It turned out beautiful. Soap still feels a little soft. No zap on the tongue. yay.
I have a couple of questions. 1) how do you know the soap is cool enough to add your fragrance?? 2) I CP my soaps and cure them a minimum of 30 days. What is a good rule of thumb for curing for HP soap?? Thanks for any help you can give me. Kathie

Kathie, I think these a great questions! But, I also think that it would be better as a new thread instead of being answered on here. Is there any way you can start a new thread?

There are quite a few people who HP here and will be able to answer your questions with varied views and experience including myself.

If you start a new thread, anyone who has these questions later will be able to find the answers more easily. I hope this doesn't deter you from finding an answer.

Kathie, I think these a great questions! But, I also think that it would be better as a new thread instead of being answered on here. Is there any way you can start a new thread?

There are quite a few people who HP here and will be able to answer your questions with varied views and experience including myself.

If you start a new thread, anyone who has these questions later will be able to find the answers more easily. I hope this doesn't deter you from finding an answer.

Galaxy,

I started a new thread but accidentally asked too many questions. I apologize.
I will try to google these questions. Thanks tho!! :)

You don't put fragrance in until the very end, after saponification is complete. By that point, temp should be down below 160. When I HP, I make sure my temp is below 160 before adding fragrance.

I'm not really sure why so many people are shocked by this. As an HP maker, I don't see this as being much faster than typical HP.

Eta: the soap won't be fully "cured" but it will be zap free. Some people consider that "done-ness" for soap. From experience I know that HP soap benefits from just as long a cure as CP soap.

Is it usable after cook? Yes! Is it the best representation of what the soap will truly be? No. Will it last 3 seconds in the shower? Most definitely!

Eta 2: trying it right now because I can
IT definitely lasts more than 3 secs, it lasts a while. My soaps too look good after a month which I noticed lately because I have been home that few months. I use it but I also do small batches in microwave. But the SJHP soaps are nice and yes I let them site for a spell, .- I have only ever had 1 CP come out well. Something always happens with that. I can also do big batches this way and use large stockpot.

yes the blender drives me nuts

I don't use the drops and yes I use the zap method. If I get a zap I cover it with damp towel for a minute or two then try again - like reg HP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back