Honey soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabon

Reaction score
Hi!

I am planning to make a honey oatmeal bar of soap. I wanted to know if the honey added at trace (1 tablespoon per pound of oil?) would make the soap smell of honey or do I need to add any EO? Please help.
Also I need to add the oatmeal at trace isn't it?( again 1 tablespoon per pound of oil?)

I don't get much of a honey smell after a couple weeks left in my soap.
As far as I know, there isn't a honey eo. Or talking about adding another scented eo?

Oatmeal is best added at trace. I ground my oatmeal though because the big pieces can be kind of scratchy sometimes.

I am going to be making this soap too. I just ordered a honey FO from Peak, I don't have it yet, but it got great reviews. I don't like oatmeal added in the soap, it always seems scratchy to me, no matter how small I get it. So I am going to add the oats to the top of the soap. Let us know how your soap turns out!

I don't get much of a honey smell after a couple weeks left in my soap.
:cry: oh! I thought it would scent my soap anyway will have to think of an EO to suit the soap.

Let us know how your soap turns out!
Sure!

My honey soaps smell wonderfully like Bit 'o Honey candy when first made, but alas, like Genny's, the natural scent of honey in my honey soap fades over the next few weeks to a month or so. Because of this, I give my honey scented soap a scent boost with a little bit of Buttermilk & Honey FO from Daystar @ .3 oz ppo.

IrishLass :)

I've made honey soap twice before but this is the first time I got a pool in the bottom of one of the molds! I left it a bit longer but it didn't change and when I unmolded it and rinsed it ...did I get my first zap!! (Well, I always wondered what it was like!!) It was a deepish half moon shape I'd saved from something that was store bought. The rest of the batch seems fine that was poured into my regular molds. The bars are formed but no zap...Has this ever happened to one of you before? :(

brandnew said:
It was a deepish half moon shape I'd saved from something that was store bought. The rest of the batch seems fine that was poured into my regular molds. The bars are formed but no zap...Has this ever happened to one of you before? :(

This is coming from just off the top of my head, and so may be neither here nor there as they say, but I'm wondering if it was perhaps the mold material of that one mold? Do you know what it was made from?

not the hard plastic (have used that before) it was a rigid but soft to the touch plastic for refrigerated food) also...Irish Lass I guess I haven't done enough research on milk soaps...I use milk with my honey soaps are you SUPPOSED to try to STOP the gel by putting it in the fridge? Been reading aon another site about it....Is there a faster heating up with the milk and honey?

brandnew said:
not the hard plastic (have used that before) it was a rigid but soft to the touch plastic for refrigerated food)

Hmmmm.. Does the plastic have a recycle code anywhere on it that you can see?

brandnew said:
also...Irish Lass I guess I haven't done enough research on milk soaps...I use milk with my honey soaps are you SUPPOSED to try to STOP the gel by putting it in the fridge?

Not necessarily. It's all a matter of personal preference. I never try to stop gel in mine. I encourage all my milk (and honey) soaps go through full gel (not that they need a whole lot of encouragement, mind you). :lol:

brandnew said:
Been reading aon another site about it....Is there a faster heating up with the milk and honey?

Yes, either one of them will cause faster or more intense heating, but I find that the intensity of heat can depend on how much is used and how cool or hot you soap your batch, and even in the manner in which you add them. For example, when I soap with honey (nowadays), I like to dilute it in a little of my water amount and then add it to my cooled lye water before adding the solution to my oils. It seems to take the fire right out of it so that it doesn't cause overheating or other problems when gelling. I believe fellow soaper judymoody uses this technique for the same reasons, too.

It really sucks that so many of our old posts are gone because we had a lot of great threads on adding honey and milk. :evil:

took the label off!!! That could be the problem! Forget about things like that. Will stick to the cardboard boxes and regular molds from now on!!...til I can get hubby to make a loaf mold for me! :wink:

Thank you for the honey/water advice...will do from here on in! :D

sudbubblez said:
There is an EO called beeswax EO. Its way too precious to use in soap though.

Beeswax absolute smells beautifully when you combine it with chamomile . I used them both a long time ago to make a solid perfume and I was so sad when it was all gone. It was a very pricey perfume.

Back