Honey powder? Photo added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm anxious to hear a reply on this....also, wondering if it also causes discoloration like raw honey.

Go for it pixy!! My guess is that it would be water soluble so if I were to use it, I think I would reserve a little water to dissolve it in and add it after trace. Keep us posted how it turns out.

I use honey powder in OMH. Careful though, it heats up quick and can volcano if your not extremely cautious.

I add it to the oils, along with fragrance, herbs, powdered milk.
The lye/water is always the last thing I add.

rubyslippers said:
Go for it pixy!! My guess is that it would be water soluble so if I were to use it, I think I would reserve a little water to dissolve it in and add it after trace. Keep us posted how it turns out.

Wow! was I wrong on that one :oops: Thanks for your input Deda :)

No volcano yippie!
pretty sure i hate the scent though
my first swirl and i love it
only problem was a bit of clumps and I had to stick blend it before adding the lye.
Kinda weird it got a bit hard on my stick blender when i added the Hops.

Traceyann said:
I have never heard of powdered honey ???? is it an American thing ???
It must be an American thing. I've never seen it anyplace else. I use it sometimes in my honey and beeswax soap.

cwarren said:
Nice color what did you use?

I mixed 2 sample Micas together for the top the rest is uncolored because I figured the Hops might add a bit of green or brown..

But I mixed a red mica with a sparkles copper brown mica, and I love the way It came out. The Red is the small reds you get a Michaels in the soap section, and the copper is Glitter Copper from TKB.

Traceyann wrote:
I have never heard of powdered honey ???? is it an American thing ???
I buy it from SFherb.com
and this is what they have listed for it.

Baking and Food Items 185
Honey Powder - 1 Lb
$4.85

Description Honey powder
Latin name
Origin USA
Uses Culinary, Soapmaking
Pkg Size 1 Lb
Volume approx 3 cups
Comments
Used primarily in baking, soaps, etc. Does not retain full honey flavor; tastes like a milk, starchy powdered-sugar.

Note To rehydrate, use 3/4 parts powder to 1 part water.
Ingredients Natural honey, maltodextrin.

I heard rumor about 2 years ago that it makes a harder bar of soap. guess I'll find out in a few weeks.

Someone asked me to make hops soap. The hops were a pretty green when they went in. When I cut it the next day, they were brown.

steffm said:
Someone asked me to make hops soap. The hops were a pretty green when they went in. When I cut it the next day, they were brown.
that sucks about your hops... :(
so far the only thing that is a plant material that has not turned brown on me is calendula flowers. they are a nice yellow and the soaps i made last year with the full petals still have yellow petals and no browning.

krissy said:
steffm said:
that sucks about your hops... :(
so far the only thing that is a plant material that has not turned brown on me is calendula flowers. they are a nice yellow and the soaps i made last year with the full petals still have yellow petals and no browning.

same for me with the callandula, I figured the Hops would turn brown but I think since the soap is pretty yellow it will be ok.

Back