Honey Lavender Oatmeal soap suggestions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings!
Here is my recipe for soap
It is simple, basic and works well for me
20oz coconut oil 1.25
20oz olive oil 1.25
18oz goat's milk 1.13
7.5 oz lye
13 oz lard
there is 79oz of liquid
I would like to make one batch of Lavender/oatmeal soap and another batch of honey/oatmeal soap
Please help me
My question is two fold regrading the Lavender/oatmeal soap do I add 1 to 6 teaspoons of finely ground oat flour per pound of fats ?
How much of the finely ground oatmeal would I add to my recipe and when would I add it (during trace) ?
Secondly:
I have some wonderful raw honey
Do I add 1 teaspoon of honey per pound of soap? How many teaspoons would I add to my recipe? And when would i add the honey (during trace)?
Also there seems to be somewhat of a debate regarding the honey as to whether it should be diluted with warm water before it is added; and if so how would one do that?
Thank you for reading and replying with your suggestions!

Last edited:
I recently did a soap with oat flour, and added around 1 Tbsp per pound of oils. I added mine to my oils before adding the lye so I could blend it in evenly. I also made a soap where I put oat flour in half only and did a swirl - added this with my colorant after splitting the batch. I think more commonly, people add it at trace.

I would add honey at trace, probably not much more than 1/2 tsp per pound of oils - otherwise you risk overheating and all that goes with it. I would mix the honey 50/50 with warm distilled water and subtract the amount of water from your overall liquid - in your case, goat's milk.

I'm sure lots of other people will chime in with what works best for them!! Happy soaping~

Hi, @numike,
I use raw honey in almost all my recipes and I add 1 oz per pound of oils, and because I soap at room temperature (that's usually between 75 & 80°F), I add it to my oils then stick blend it before adding the lye solution.
It seems to solve the issue of overheating. I've not had a single batch overheat or even gel!
I'm sorry but don't have any advice regarding the oat flour. I'm about to start experimenting with it myself.
I hope my advice on the honey helps!

I add 1-2 tsp PPO of honey mixed with a bit of wam water from my recipe right to my oils and mix well. before adding my lye mixture. It usually turns the batter a shade of orange but comes out beige. I sometimes add some TD to lighten it a bit. I also always gel my soaps.

I recently did a soap with oat flour, and added around 1 Tbsp per pound of oils. I added mine to my oils before adding the lye so I could blend it in evenly. I also made a soap where I put oat flour in half only and did a swirl - added this with my colorant after splitting the batch. I think more commonly, people add it at trace.

I would add honey at trace, probably not much more than 1/2 tsp per pound of oils - otherwise you risk overheating and all that goes with it. I would mix the honey 50/50 with warm distilled water and subtract the amount of water from your overall liquid - in your case, goat's milk.

I'm sure lots of other people will chime in with what works best for them!! Happy soaping~

I wish I'd read this before I made that bright orange soap I made today.
Definitely honey AFTER trace.

I wish I'd read this before I made that bright orange soap I made today.
Definitely honey AFTER trace.

The orange should fade. Mine turned really orange too at first and after saponification just ended up being tan and then discoloring with my FO.

Latest posts

Back