Hmm.... could it be a mold??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scentapy

Reaction score
So... I picked this up in Target yesterday for $2.50 (in the $1 & $2.50 section). It is made of wood. I bought it with the intention of spraying it flat black for display purposes. But............ I was looking at it last night and wondered if it could be used as a mold? I would line it with wax paper of course..but I am wondering what would happen with the two cutouts on the side. I am thinking the wax paper would keep the soap in. What do you all think? If you think this would make a good mold then run to Target because they are only $2.50 (I'm going back for more)!!!!

photojkn.jpg

By kimfa1 at 2012-03-15

Ooh, it does look like it could be good. The paper might keep it in, but you could always tape something over the holes.

I wonder if our Target has some? I may have to make a run today and see.

You never know until you try it! But don't use wax paper, it doesn't hold up well with soap. Try butcher paper or any other heavy-duty paper with a water-resistant coating inside.

I use parchment paper. I'd also use that for my coffee table! I hope my Target has some because I'm going TODAY! Thank you! :)

Fullamoon said:
I'd also use that for my coffee table! I hope my Target has some because I'm going TODAY! Thank you! :)

Yes, yes, yes... go there... you can't beat $2.50. I am going back today to get a bunch more!

bettacreek said:
But don't use wax paper, it doesn't hold up well with soap. Try butcher paper or any other heavy-duty paper with a water-resistant coating inside.
The only issue I have had with the wax paper is that some batches (& its random) won't lift out of the mold, the paper rips and I have to take the mold apart. Perhaps the butcher paper or parchment paper is stronger and will prevent me from having to take the mold apart?? That would be nice!!

Yeah. I've always used wax paper to line my mold. It did the same, and many times I had to pick at it to get it off of the soap, and I've even had to cut the edges off of the soap because the wax paper wouldn't come off cleanly. I've watched youtube videos with people using parchment/butcher paper, and they lift their soap right out of the mold using only the paper. I've since switched to silicone, but if using a wood mold, definately use the wax paper in the kitchen and get yourself some parchment paper for soaping. You'll be greatful for it. :)

i've never gotten wax paper to work. i use butchers paper, it has a plastic coating on it to keep the soap from sticking and they sell it lotsa places. i like the look of the mold /strike desk decoration.

That tray looks like it would make a nice improvised slab mold! If you don't mind me asking, how big is it/what are it's dimensions?

I've been using some drawers as slab molds. The drawers have a 1-inch hole that is countersunk where the knobs are screwed in. I've been covering the hole with a double layer of packing/mailing tape and then lining with plastic bags that have been cut to fit. I'm thinking of getting a silicone fondant mat to cut up and use to line the bottom since the plastic does cause some wrinkles.

bettacreek said:
I've watched youtube videos with people using parchment/butcher paper, and they lift their soap right out of the mold using only the paper. I've since switched to silicone, but if using a wood mold, definately use the wax paper in the kitchen and get yourself some parchment paper for soaping. You'll be greatful for it. :)

When I am at Target picking up more of these wood trays... I am soooo getting some parchment or butchers paper :lol:

[quote="giantolive] That tray looks like it would make a nice improvised slab mold! If you don't mind me asking, how big is it/what are it's dimensions?[/quote]

I will measure it when I get home and let you know :) Looks like it will fit a 2lb. batch... which is what I currently make.

If you can find it, use "Freezer Paper" made my Reynold's. It's basically butcher paper, but it has a plastic coating on one side and it's excellent as a liner. It's sturdy and won't tear as you are removing it from your soap. You may even get more than one use out of a single liner. Just make sure the plastic side is facing your soap.

Or you could also go to Joanne's Fabrics and pick up some no-melt mylar in the quilting section (that's what I use). It's quite sturdy and would be a wonderful material to use on the sides where those holes are.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for the mold idea. Think I'll head to target today.
I am liner challenged so use liners over and over. Still struggling with the danged folding, cutting, throwing, yelling, fussing, kicking. :roll:

IMG_1013.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

I wouldn't trust any lining to hold the soap in the hole area. See if you can cut some thin wood to fit in the holes first and wedge it in.

Latest posts

Back