Hi! Totally new to soap making...and loving it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miracon

Reaction score
I am a craft enthusiast. I quilt, wood work, bullet journal, cricut. Kind of a wannabe Craft MacGyver. I love all things craft. I have fallen in love with soap making. Cold process. Tried rebatching. Didn't particularly like it. I'm also an efficiency nut. In fact, that is kind of what I do for my job, only with Accounting departments.
  • I put my coconut oil and palm oil on a heating pad and wrap them in an electric blanket when I know I'm going to do some soaping a little later in the day so they "naturally" melt.
  • Recently I discovered master batching lye, which is LIFE CHANGING.
  • I've thought about master batching the oils, but not sure what I would store the master batch in that I could easily warm up.
  • Would love to know other efficiency hacks, like can I master batch my mica powders?
  • I'm struggling with trace a little. I'm so afraid of not getting to trace that I get to too thick of a trace when I need it thinner to do swirls.
  • I'm also struggling with soda ash, even though I'm doing all the suggestions, but my problem may be that I have 91% alcohol since 99% is hard to find.
  • I have to keep my self busy making more soap so that my impatience doesn't cause me to unmold my soap too soon.
Any way...Hi!!! :)

Welcome!

You can store your MB oils in a 1 gallon bucket, a 5 gallon bucket, or small portion-sized containers. I use a heating pad to soften or melt my larger oil buckets, but you can also buy bucket-melter belts that are made specifically for that purpose. If you are master-batching some soft oils with them, it doesn't usually reharden all the way unless it is stored in a pretty cold place. Read some of the posts by @TheGecko about how she mixes her MB oils with a paint-stirring attachment to her drill, before scooping what she needs out of the bucket.

Welcome. I'm a Staff Accountant with a CPA office. I'm also a Virgo.
  • I've thought about master batching the oils, but not sure what I would store the master batch in that I could easily warm up.
I have a big ole 5-gallon white plastic bucket...food-grade of course. I master batch 640 oz of oils/butters in 160 oz lots. 640 oz doesn't fill the bucket...maybe 2/3s...I still wanted to be able to lift it on my own. I'm getting one of those wheeled buckets stands...partly for convenience, partly to make it a little taller. So why 'lots'? 5 lbs of oil/butter is what my 'melting' pot will hold at one time and I know I can move it off the stove without worrying about spilling it. And I make one full 'lot' at a time in case for any reason I have to stop what I'm doing, I know exactly where I left off.

My exact routine is: measure and start melting the Cocoa Butter on medium heat. Measure and add Palm Oil, measure and add Coconut Oil, measure and add Shea Butter...turn off heat. Measure Castor Oil, tare scale and measure Olive Oil; add those to bucket. Add melted oils/butters. Repeat.

Now you could wrap a heating pad around the bucket to keep the oils melted...I thought about it, but it's a waste of electricity. See...even though my recipe is 60% hard oils, they don't resolidify. Even as cold as my house has been, it's been a thick slurry. During the summer it was a thin batter. Because I use Palm Oil, I bought a commercial paint stirrer for about five bucks and I love it. I run it around the bottom of the bucket for a couple of minutes at a medium speed and it stirs up everything without added in a bunch of air. Then I have a ladle that holds approximately 4 oz of liquid.

This you will love. I have a spreadsheet that lists every mold I own and on it, I list how much oil/butter and how much Lye Solution I need for each one and since I have more than one of any mold, I have listed how much I need if I use multiples of any mold.

So after stirring my oils/butters, I grab my bowl/container, look to see how many ounces of oil/butter I need and divide by four and that tells me how many ladlefuls to add off the bat. Then I put the bowl on my scale and add/subtract. Pop the bowl in the microwave at 20-30 seconds per pound depending on the time of the year. While the oils are remelting, I measure out my MB'd Lye Solution and add in my Sodium Lactate. And since I use Kaolin Clay, I disperse what I need in a tablespoon of water. Time to make soap.

I also make Goat Milk Soap with a slightly different recipe and have a bucket for it. I also have some 1-gallon buckets, so when the 5-gallon ones get low enough, I transfer the contents and then wash and sanitize the big ones and start over again.
  • Would love to know other efficiency hacks, like can I master batch my mica powders?
Unless you are making large quantities of same soap every day, IMHO it is a waste of time (and potentially money). Speaking for myself, I have over 50 different Micas...some I use more often than others, and I have several that I bought a year ago and haven't even used yet. Had I MB'd them, odds are good that I would have to toss them as they would have been dispersed in Sweet Almond Oil and it only has a year shelf life. When I started out I dispersed all my colorants, but rarely disperse these days as I generally only make one and two color soaps. Occasionally I get a little 'wild' and will throw in a third color, but even then, I will just toss in the mica dry and whisk it in (I like to check for color before grabbing the stick blender). I will disperse clays, oxides and pigments unless I want a 'speckled' look. And I also ways have a bottle of dispersed TD on hand.

ETA:

• I'm also struggling with soda ash, even though I'm doing all the suggestions, but my problem may be that I have 91% alcohol since 99% is hard to find.
A lot of us do...it's a complete mystery to me. I mean, I understand the science behind it but it's pretty hit or miss. I made two soaps out of the same batter, same colorant, same mold...different scents. The one I sprayed with IPA ashed, the one I forget to spray didn't. First time I made my Orange Soap, it came out perfect. Second time the ask was so bad that I had to throw out all the sample and use the rest for home. There are just so many variables...oils, butters, waxes, water, scent, colorant, additives, gel or no gel, frig, freezer, heating pad, covered, not covered, IPA no IPA, plastic wrap, cardboard and the list goes on an on.

Last edited:
Welcome, welcome!! I love this forum which is full o' knowledge and chuckles. I love spreadsheets in my work life but unlike @TheGecko, I have not transferred it to my soap hobby yet. :)

To prevent soda ash I spray with alcohol 91%, cover with plastic wrap, then cardboard (and towels to gel) and haven't gotten ash since.

Here's a great video that I've watched 100 times about trace,
There's another helpful one, I'll keep looking for it (my laptop recently died an ugly death taking with it all my bookmarked soap resources).

I'm on Year 3 of my soap journey and just now getting more confident with reaching emulsion and thin trace. I end up using my stick blender as a spoon waaay more than as a blender.

I also love micas and toss them in dry (I disperse other types of colorants, tho').

Keep us posted and we love pics and all the deets.

And, @TheGecko, when you say, "Measure Castor Oil, tare scale and measure Olive Oil;" do you mean in the same container??!!😮 I use one container to measure solid oils, taring in-between -- and that's where my bravery ends. I measure liquids into separate containers. If I could, I'd use one container for my essential oils but due to the small amounts I use one container, taring in-between each essential oil. Inevitably I overpour -- ulp, 1 gram over! Now the whole thing is ruined! -- and spend the rest of the evening in angst and agitation.

And, @TheGecko, when you say, "Measure Castor Oil, tare scale and measure Olive Oil;" do you mean in the same container??!!😮I use one container to measure solid oils, taring in-between -- and that's where my bravery ends. I measure liquids into separate containers. If I could, I'd use one container for my essential oils but due to the small amounts I use one container, taring in-between each essential oil. Inevitably I overpour -- ulp, 1 gram over! Now the whole thing is ruined! -- and spend the rest of the evening in angst and agitation.

Yes Sir. I dislike doing dishes, so I am generally pretty spot on with my measurements...usually within hundreds of an ounce (another horror...I don't use grams).

I do measure my hard oils/butters separately when master batching, but there is a reason...Cocoa Butter takes the longest to melt, so it's already melting by the times I measure out my Palm Oil (which takes the second longest to melt). I over heated Shea Butter once...it's why I add it last and turn off the stove (electric).

When measuring out FOs/EOs...I pour against a pipette. If I don't...I get it all over the place: scale, hands, bottle. Sometime I don't mind smelling like my soap...if I'm only making one soap or complimentary scents, but mostly I prefer not smelling like I've been working overtime at the Mustang Ranch.

Yes Sir. I dislike doing dishes, so I am generally pretty spot on with my measurements...usually within hundreds of an ounce (another horror...I don't use grams).
I over heated Shea Butter once...it's why I add it last and turn off the stove (electric).
When measuring out FOs/EOs...I pour against a pipette.
What??!! OUNCES? I'm seeing a whole new side to you. Just kidding. I used ounces forever but my undergrad degree in Chemistry kept screaming at me to use grams. Don't get me started again on my rant. Why did I spend all of 3rd grade "preparing for metric" when we (U.S.A.) still use English? All the guides for colorants and additives are in pounds per oil -- and I can never remember how many ounces are in a pound so there's that conversion, then converting to grams. Auuggh!

And yes, melt shea butter on low or off.

I also use the pipette trick pouring essential oils -- this is another great hack learned here, @Miracon -- and learned the hard way after lemongrass destroyed my scale. Another hack -- cover your scale with a sandwich bag.

Latest posts

Back