Here are some of mine

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice. I also think the hanger swirls you have done look awesome. Great job.

Just when I was dazzled by the first 3 there was more! Really nice, all of them, Timber.

lovely array of soaps , just so inviting ..... love your use of color. what type of colorants you work with the most?

Well, I haven't been doing this long enough to have a "most", haha. I've tried a few naturals like cocoa powder, paprika and annatto, also some oxides and FD&C dyes, green clay, activated charcoal, and even food colors which morphed but were still somewhat interesting. I'm just a beginner experimenting and having fun :) I see a lot of amazing soaps on this forum I would love to be able to replicate but I'm not there yet.

You've been doing a marvelous job! That hanger swirl is really good. I need to try my hand at that.

You've done a great job with all your soaps Timber...I especially like the swirls that you came up with an the use of all the colors...your soaps are great....I especially like the save you made with that one rebatch with the greenish tops..also that hanger swirl is first class..I don't get in the Photo gallery as much as I should and after reviewing all you great work it makes me want to contribute a few shots of some of my recent soaps...Great work..
jerry

Money was tight this year all my friends and family got soap and varies Bath products (not that soap supplies are cheap)

Very pretty! What do you color with, I notice your pinks and blues are so vibrant!

Thanks! I've used a lot of things and keep experimenting. For the pictures in this thread:
Most of the blues are different strengths of FD&C Green #5 dye.
The greens are mostly green oxide.
The bright pink is FD&C Red #33
Browns are mostly cocoa powder or cinnamon.
The salmon color is Kroger brand red food coloring, which morphs with the high pH, but I like what it morphs into and use it intentionally. I have heard that food colors fade, but some of the bars are over 6 months old at this point and still look fine.
Activated charcoal and french green clay for black/gray/gray-greens.
The Baby Powder bars had red and blue M&P dyes I got at Michaels, which also morphed.
For yellows and yellow-orange I have used annatto or paprika infused OO.

Still looking for a "Blue" blue that holds up with lye.

The salmon color is Kroger brand red food coloring, which morphs with the high pH, but I like what it morphs into and use it intentionally. I have heard that food colors fade, but some of the bars are over 6 months old at this point and still look fine.

If your red food coloring is Red 40 it won't fade. Red 3 will fade almost instantly. The yellow and orange won't fade. The Blue 1 will turn pink/purple in CP and will fade in very intense sunlight over a few hours.

Love your coloring. Where did you get the Green #5?

So this pic represents a couple of "firsts": my first try at a tiger stripe, and also the first use of my new wire cutter. The wire cutter cost me $0 since I made it with some scrap wood, a broken guitar tuner and an old mandolin string. It worked great though!

I made some boo-boos with the soap but overall I'm happy with it.

Morning Sky 04142013.jpg

Wow, that is a beautiful soap! I love the stripes and the colors are gorgeous! Is it scented? As for making the wire cutter for free, that is way more talent then I have... I failed at making a soap mold, hehehe :)

That soap is fabulous!!! Great job!! Can you post a picture of your wire cutter? I also have a homemade one that works great.

Back