Hemp Oil Question - Photos Added

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindy

Soap Diva Queen
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a soap today using Hemp Oil for the first time as well as Nag Champa FO for scent. Came to trace fairly quickly, molded it and as I completed each additional batch of soap I stacked my molds to self-insulate which I do all the time. Okay so I decided to take the stack apart and let them start cooling only to discover that this soap seems to have overheated and - shall we say - escaped from the mold - okay overflowed - what a mess!! This could turn into a rebatch - I'll see once I unmold it.....

So my question is this - what experience have others had with this oil as well as this FO? Do they have a tendancy to overheat? I soaped quite hot but again I do this most of the time to create a soap that sets up a little quicker so I can cut sooner.

TIA

Lindy

Hi Lindy , I use hemp a lot , no problems, I am guessing it is the FO. I have using the rtcp and cpop and loving it.No overheating and the soap is ready to go way sooner than reg cp..Hemp is awesome to my eczema allergy laden skin in lotion bars.
HTh
Kitn

I haven't used hemp oil yet and all I can find out about it is that is is high in proteins....which may impact your soap, but no-one has made a comment about it needing care when soaping.....so if nothing else is different for you then my guess is the FO as well.

Tanya :)

Hemp oil is my favorite!!! I have not had a problem with it and absolutely LOVE it! It must be the FO. You will love using this oil :D

I just did that same soap a couple of weeks ago.
I colored half green and left half natural and attempted a swirl... I woldn't call it swirly but it looks pretty good.

I insulated with no troubles. Only problem is my wonderful Nag champa FO (mixed with a little "Earth" FO) was almost gone when I unmolded. Thankfully it is coming back to life as it cures.

I had some small leftover batter that I put in an uninsulated plastic mold and I think I like it much better for color and scent. So next time it goes in the fridge.

Okay - here are the pictures of the soap - other than a rather large dip in the top - it looks and feels fine. No zap although there wasn't any after I discovered the mess - I'm going to clean up the tops of the bars so I can sell it. I'm going to try this one again as a RTCP to see if I can get it behave better for me....

Thanks for everyone's input!

TexadaGold004.jpg

Cheers
Lindy

Lindy, I use hemp oil alot and as you already know I use Nag Champa as well. I am sure your problem is with the Nag. The black and white swirl you cut with me was hemp oil but there was no Nag in it. It makes a nice soap. My Nag traces at lightening speed and the first time I used it my sopa was very crumbly and hard. I thought it was lye heavey but it is fine. It was almost impossible to cut right from the get go.

Thanks Jody! I love those B&W bars - okay I love all your soap and the Buddha is just fantastic - my mom loves that mold & my uncle really likes that scent. I'll have to really watch that FO - this time I had all the molds stacked on top of each other with this one on the bottom so that probably contributed....

Ewenique I used Chromium Oxide - this is a tone on tone using the same colour just varying the amount of colourant....

Thanks
Lindy

Oh Tanya - I love that idea - I was working to create a marijuana colour since I was naming it Texada Gold and using Hemp Oil.... :wink:

I really like these colours and I'm going to increase the range of colours I have in it as well.

Thank you too for your kind words...

Cheers
Lindy

x

just a thought, and it may just be me....when i was using hemp oil, i was using 20-30% with olive oil and coconut and i had a serious run of DOS thru numerous batches after about 3-4 months out of the mold and packaged. if i limited it to 10-15%, and added vitamin e T-500 i no longer had an issue with it.

it may just be because of the humidity and heat in the south, but i have read that that it has a tendency to go rancid fast, has a short shelf life and needed refrigeration after opening (or an added antioxident). that's mainly why i avoided usining it in lotions except for personal use.

very pretty bars-love the tone on tone!

monet

Back