Help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucsfan

Reaction score
I think gremlins have moved in with me, for the past 2 months I'm having problems with my soaps. My recipe consists of:
castor oil 7.2 oz
tallow 57.6 oz
Rice bran oil 43.2 oz
Shea butter 7.2 oz
Coconut oil 28.8 oz

Liquid (goat's milk or beer depending) 40 oz
Lye 19.9 oz
Frgrance
I have been using this recipe for years (exchanging the RBO for Olive or HO Sunflower sometimes) The problems is that when it comes time to cut the soaps there are tunnels and not one of them are usable. Normally, I put the soap in the freezer to avoid overheating, since this has been happening, I tried leaving it out with the same results, changed the lye, mixed it to thick trace, light trace, nothing seems to help. I'm at my wits end! I took pictures but can't seem to attach them so I can show you what I mean

If there's tunneling I would think it's likely overheating. Have you tried a batch with just water or 50/50 water and milk or beer? I would try that and see if you get the same result.

If there's tunneling I would think it's likely overheating. Have you tried a batch with just water or 50/50 water and milk or beer? I would try that and see if you get the same result.
Tried that already, at this point I.m about to pull my hair out. I did one with 80% water, 20% goat's milk, put it in the freezer overnight and it had a beautiful tunnel, also the bottom of the soap was "spongy" for lack of a better word.

It sounds like it's overheating. I would try discounting the liquid a bit more maybe. I use both gm and beer and don't have an issue. So, something isn't right. Have you check your scale? Otherwise, I'm not sure what's going on. Sugars from the beer and milks can cause overheating.

It sounds like it's overheating. I would try discounting the liquid a bit more maybe. I use both gm and beer and don't have an issue. So, something isn't right. Have you check your scale? Otherwise, I'm not sure what's going on. Sugars from the beer and milks can cause overheating.
I'll try discounting the liquid and checking my scale. Thanks!

Thank you Shunt2011! I calibrated my scale and that was fine, discounted the liquid and voila......great soap (it volcano some even in the freezer) no tunneling!

Back