Help with soda ash?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nanooo48

Reaction score
3549DA8E-037E-4B63-9561-369503806DFA.jpeg
F675246D-38B3-4EDC-A24C-CD6187EC7B8C.jpeg
So I’ve done the spray with alcohol method.. And it’s just not working. Is there something else I can do to avoid soda ash? Please? It doesn’t happen on all soaps with similar or the same recipe. I just don’t get it :oops: Top photo is a goats milk soap, the bottom is not. Both have soda ash. I used alcohol spray for both. I can only find 90% alcohol. Could that be it? Lol

You could try changing liquid amounts or temperature. Otherwise, steam it off or learn to embrace it! It was a hard thing for my brain to accept, but I have eventually come to overlook ash on soaps.

Pretty soaps! Sometimes ash can look nice on soap, but for the most part I hate it. Do you gel? That seems to help. Lye concentration can make a difference. Steaming will help. I've also found that spraying the ashy bits with distilled water, and then 2 minutes later with alcohol often takes care of it.

Very pretty soaps. A little bit of steam takes care of ash. I kind of like the look of ash on your first soap.
Thank you. I have tried the steam method in the past but I was getting sweaty soap before getting rid of the ash, I was using a boiling water method though lol. Didn’t go over well. Could just be that I’m a spaz. I should try again.

You could try changing liquid amounts or temperature. Otherwise, steam it off or learn to embrace it! It was a hard thing for my brain to accept, but I have eventually come to overlook ash on soaps.
Yea as much as I try to embrace it on some soaps, others I just wanted the pretty tops I had intended! Lol it’s the type A in my I guess haha. I may have to learn to embrace it if all else fails. The ash loves my soaps! Lol

Pretty soaps! Sometimes ash can look nice on soap, but for the most part I hate it. Do you gel? That seems to help. Lye concentration can make a difference. Steaming will help. I've also found that spraying the ashy bits with distilled water, and then 2 minutes later with alcohol often takes care of it.
I do gel for the good portion of my soaps. I’m am going to try that distilled water method! Will that help still if they’ve cured 4 weeks already?? :)

Good lord those are gorgeous soaps! Even with ash, I'd love my soaps to look like that! For ash prevention, after pouring into molds, I spray with alcohol, cover in plastic wrap, then cardboard and towels to gel. I don't get ash. Again, great job. Share more photos!

I do gel for the good portion of my soaps. I’m am going to try that distilled water method! Will that help still if they’ve cured 4 weeks already?? :)
I'm not sure, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. Follow the distilled water with an alcohol spray. I really think it's the alcohol that does the work. I've done this just spraying the alcohol and it seems to work about the same. I made soap 2 days ago that was starting to develop a bit of ash on it, so I just did this today - ash is gone. It doesn't always work and I don't know why. And if the ash is thick the results are pretty marginal.

I should also mention that I put my soap bars on two parallel skewers or straws as well to keep the bottoms of the soap elevated a bit.

Good luck - let me know if it works for you.

Good lord those are gorgeous soaps! Even with ash, I'd love my soaps to look like that! For ash prevention, after pouring into molds, I spray with alcohol, cover in plastic wrap, then cardboard and towels to gel. I don't get ash. Again, great job. Share more photos!
Thank you so much!!! I will try I’m just never sure where I’m supposed to share the fun stuff besides questions lol.

I still say it has to do with Recipe, cure, where you live, time of year, humidity.
I gel and still get ash, tried it all....... as I have posted in other threads about Ash.

Latest posts

Back