How to test body and linen sprays for discoloration?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autumnfrost

Reaction score
I'm trying to add linen/body sprays to my product line, and I'm having some difficulty with figuring out which fragrances to choose and how to test them for discoloration. I'm only planning on using body safe fragrances so my customers can use them as a body spray or as a room/linen spray. Some of my customer's favorite scents are high in vanillin, though, and I don't really know where to begin on how to test if these fragrances are safe to spray around, or if they will discolor fabric.

I've seen a lot of body & linen sprays on the market that smell very sweet to me, including just vanilla, and I have used them before without issue. Which is even more confusing!

I am planning on adding a warning to the labels to do a test patch on their fabric before use, but I think we all know those warnings rarely get followed, so I would like to try to mitigate the harm.

You would need to do a stability test. Put your linen spray samples in a clear jar on the window sill and observe the color changes over several months. Also try some samples in your preferred packaging as light will probably accelerate the discoloration. At the end of the stability study spray some on some white fabric to check for staining/discoloration.

You should also be checking your formula's stability at elevated temperature and for freeze thaw stability.

Here is some useful information on stability tests
https://chemistscorner.com/how-to-stability-test-a-cosmetic-formula/

Latest posts

Back