Help! problem with my goat milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeakyclean

Reaction score
I mixed my lye with ice cubed goat milk and mixed it slowly in an ice bath. When it came up to 75 degrees ( and it was already tracing) I mixed with my oils (75 degrees) it started to seize and get lump. I mixed it throughly and clumped it into the mold. What did I do wrong and can I still use this soap?:sad:

The lye couldn't trace without the oils, the gm and lye can clump up and thicken up. if you post your recipe that would help, I cannot tell if the soap actually reached trace after the oil was added?

There is a point where you can soap to cool. Without knowing what oils you used and exactly how mixed you got it its hard to say if its,going to turn into usable soap. If it separates and does not become "soap" I would put it back in the pot and warm it up, stick blend until a proper trace is reached and mold again. Good luck.

my recipe was
Castor oil 3%
CO 30%
OO 37%
PO 30%

The lye/goatmilk mixture got real thick while i was trying to get the tempature up. The trace with the oils happened fairly quickly. I kept mixing because I've never had a trace so fast. Started to get small lumps. In the mold now and it already feels like it's somewhat solid

I mix lye with enough water to mix it then add my goatmilk.... Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

It sounds like the fat in the goat's milk was already saponifying, I have had that happen with milks, and yes it should be fine. As long as all your lye was completely dissolved and mixed everything together well and reached true trace, and it sounds like you did mix it well. I think your soap will be okay.

Hi Squeaky, did you take the oils out of your batch to mix your fragrance in with or just added FO to all your oils before adding the lye? If you did the latter, it is probably that. Most add fragrance to oils removed from the batch before adding lye, to buffer them, before adding the fragrance + oil back in at trace. I suspect that your fragrance might have reacted with the lye to heat up chunks and make it seize.

Latest posts

Back