Help please...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mumof2bubs

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've toyed with the idea of making some soap for some time now and I've decided I'm just going to bite the bullet and do it! Would anyone be so kind as to share a nice moisturising soap recipe with me?

If I made the soap this weekend would it be suitable to give as Christmas gifts to immediate family or have I left it too late?

I'm going to place an online order for all my oils etc. could you kindly give me an idea of what oils and butters would be good to have on hand and what sort of quantities to start with?

I'm thinking along the lines of:-
Coconut oil
Castor oil
Palm oil (what's the difference between this and palm kernal oil?)
Olive oil
Cocoa butter
Shea butter

I'm also going to purchase a few other oils like jojoba, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil and sweet almond to try out some skincare for me personally. So I'm guessing a few of these oils could also be used in small quantities in the soap also.

What size batch would be easy enough for a beginner to handle?

I apologise for the huge essay, but I thank you in advance if you can help me :)

Palm Kernel oil can be an exchange for Coconut Oil, so if you're sensitive to CO then use PKO. I would get normal Palm Oil to go with Coconut Oil and Olive and Castor Oils for your first recipe. Keep it simple.

What about 40% Olive (400g)
30% Palm Oil (300g)
25% Coconut Oil (250g)
5% Castor Oil (50g)

Plug the figures into SoapCalc and work out how much water and lye you need.

use a 6 to 8% lye discount (superfat equivalent)

This will make a nice bar of soap and is simple. :wink:

No bigger than about 1000g for a beginner.

PS: please don't soap with children around and please don't leave lye around. I still shudder at the story of the mum who left the lye in the jug and the toddler pulled it over onto himself and suffered terrible burns. :(

Thank you for your reply Jenny. Don't worry, I definitely won't be soaping with children around, I'm going to be doing it in the garage with the internal access door locked and only ever when hubby is around to tend to the children :)

I just wanted to ask again, would the soap be ready in time to gift for Christmas?

If you make it soon, then yes, it will be ready for Christmas. At least 4 weeks cure is good but longer is better. :wink:

Latest posts

Back