help please with salt bar recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirrdee

Reaction score
I finally got my silicone molds and am attempting the salt recipe (from Irislass' recipe)

The recipe is:

100% coconut oil
100% coconut milk
25% salt

my question is: If I make a 24 oz (oils) batch, does that make my salt measurement 6 oz.?

Just want to double check before I make it...thanks for any help!!

salt recipe

you won't regret it - i've made 2 batches so far and will do a third today. on my first batch i got wonky bottoms so just remember to TAP THE MOULD! :D

I tend to mold sooner, rather than later. It doesn't have to be at a super thick trace to add your salt. When it just starts to thicken up, I put my salt in. By the time I'm done mixing my salt in, it's ready to go into the molds. It's still fairly thin, but I don't mess around waiting for it to get too thick. I don't have any problems with salt staying in suspension.

Thanks everyone...good to know, I was wondering if I was gonna have soap on a stick or what....Ill use your advice for sure!!

dirrdee said:
I finally got my silicone molds and am attempting the salt recipe (from Irislass' recipe)

The recipe is:

100% coconut oil
100% coconut milk
25% salt

my question is: If I make a 24 oz (oils) batch, does that make my salt measurement 6 oz.?

I am new and confused.. how do you have both the coconut milk and cocunut oil at 100%.
Do you use then 12 oz of coconut oil and 12 oz of coconut milk and the 6 oz of salt is additional ?

Robbiegirl said:
dirrdee said:

The recipe is:

100% coconut oil
100% coconut milk
25% salt

I am new and confused.. how do you have both the coconut milk and cocunut oil at 100%.
Do you use then 12 oz of coconut oil and 12 oz of coconut milk and the 6 oz of salt is additional ?

Yep! I think the superfat for this recipe is 20% so the lye won't saponify all of the oil.

If you want to add some color and fragrance oil do you add some clay into a little bit of the oil?

Robbiegirl said:

I believe she meant she's using 100% CO for the oil and 100% coconut milk for the liquid. So if she's using 24 oz CO then she'd be using about 9 oz coconut milk for the liquid.

You could take out some of the oil and add the clay to make a slurry. Then add it back in for the color. But I'm not an expert on using clay for color. I generally use micas and pour a bit of the soap into a plastic cup, add the mica, whip it together and then pour it back into the main batch.

You can add the FO to oil and then add it into the batch. I usually just pour it in after I've mixed the lye into it. Then I add the soap with the colorant if I want it to be more of a swirled color. I'd add the salt and stir well before I poured the colorant if I want it to be swirled.

Back