HELP Newbie mistake.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDurr

Reaction score
I made a few batches of soap with a recipe I found on a homestead site.The first had a crack and so yesterday I did the same recipe and stuck it in the freezer, thinking that would help with the cracking.Well , I forgot about it.Now I went to cut it and it just crumbles.Also, now I read that you need to run through the calculator and I tried but don't quite understand.will I be able to rebatch or is it all garbage?Can someone help?
Recipe
20 oz Goat milk
4.7 oz Water
6.7 oz Lye
12 oz Coconut Oil
12 oz Palm Oil(which I used Lard)
2 oz Olive Oil
1 oz Castor Oil

Hello and welcome! Yes, you need to run every recipe through a lye calculator. You should also be measuring in grams for better accuracy. Did you let the soap thaw before trying to cut it? It should be at room temperature when cutting. If cut right out of the freezer it's going to be too hard. The crack was likely overheating from the goat's milk and higher Coconut.

I highly recommend you make yourself comfortable with a soap calculator before going forward. Here's where you can find some great information:

https://classicbells.com/soap/soapyStuff.html

One good calculator is:
http://soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

Looking at the page, you will see numbers in squares. For example, there is a 1 beside Type of Lye. Click the 1 for help in that area.

Here is your recipe:
upload_2018-12-19_8-17-29.png

1st problem - WAY too much water. You can see this recipe calls for 10.26 ounces of water, and you used 24.7 (water + goatmilk). Goatmilk is mostly water, so same thing.

You also used too much lye. 5% superfat - meaning 5% more oil than what your lye will saponify - is a good standard starting point.

You have a -50% superfat. Which means that there is unsaponified lye in your soap that will burn you.

If you want, you could cut it up and put it in a shoe box or a paper bag and put it away for 6 months. That might give the free lye time to combine with the oxygen in the air.

I would suggest you just toss it and try again.

Please post a link to the recipe - I'm curious to see it!

The link is https://experimentalhomesteader.com/basic-goat-milk-soap-recipe/. I was so excited because it was an easy recipe that made a good amount.I have two girls that we homeschool. We just got started in goats about a year ago and we have two that are in milk. I was so happy to find a recipe that uses more than a few ounces at a time.Guess I need to sit and figure the calculator out instead of trying recipes.I just want a moisturizing goat milk soap!Thank you for the help.I'll check these out.

The link is https://experimentalhomesteader.com/basic-goat-milk-soap-recipe/. I was so excited because it was an easy recipe that made a good amount.I have two girls that we homeschool. We just got started in goats about a year ago and we have two that are in milk. I was so happy to find a recipe that uses more than a few ounces at a time.Guess I need to sit and figure the calculator out instead of trying recipes.I just want a moisturizing goat milk soap!Thank you for the help.I'll check these out.

Yes, you really need to learn how to use a lye calculator. All recipes need to be run through one for accuracy. With a little playing with it you'll get it figured out.

Also, soap isn't moisturizing or conditioning. It's made to clean. You can use less cleansing oils like Cocount, PKO or Babassu which all add to the cleansing in soap and make a soap that is less stripping. To moisturize or condition you'll need to use a leave on product.

I can say that I don't have to use lotion after using my soap as I'm clean but not stripped dry by the soap.

I was hoping maybe you missed something, but yup, that is a GARBAGE recipe. I may leave an ugly comment on her blog.

You can make a recipe with any oils you like, and replace the water with your goat's milk. Milk soaps tend to be touchy - mine always smell like baby spit-up. The sugars in the milk make it more likely for your soap to overheat, but that's easy enough to deal with.

My suggestion:

40-50% lard, palm or tallow (I recommend lard)
5% castor
20% coconut (not the liquid kind, you want the solid kind).
25% olive (not virgin, grade A or pomace) or sunflower. (I actually really like a combination of olive, sunflower and rice bran but rice bran isn't available in a lot of grocery stores.)
5% superfat

upload_2018-12-20_9-0-3.png

12 oz goats milk
Put goatsmilk in fridge to get cold. Use a plastic pitcher.
Measure out lye and set aside.
Put the plastic pitcher of goat's milk in an ice water bath to keep it cold. Add the lye a little at a time, stirring. Assuming you don't have a small pitcher and the goat's milk fills it less than halfway, I'd use a stick blender to stir it. Lye crystals can settle to the bottom of cold liquid, instead of dissolving.

When you have added all of the lye, set it aside. Melt your oils. Overheated lard can smell like pork, so try not to overheat. The oils should be around 90-100 degrees. This is cooler than often recommended, but it should keep the milk from overheating your soap. When your oils are 90-100 degrees, add your milk. Stick blend (on 10 seconds, stir with wand, then on 10 seconds again). Stir until your soap reaches trace. (Google pics of trace.)

Pour into molds. Molds should be silicone, or a wooden mold with a silicone or freezer paper liner. Or plastic. You may want to grease them with a bit of mineral oil.

These instructions make the whole process seem less forgiving than it actually is. But I thought since you had a failed batch, you might want something that is very clear and precise.

Also take the time to learn how to calculate your lye requirement manually and maybe you can use it as a science project for your kids, depending on their age. I really think all soapmakers should learn how to figure their lye without a calculator using SAP, Saponification values, for the oils they are going to be used. This means how much base, or NaOH it takes to saponify.

I use a calculator as do most of us, but when I first started soapmaking I figured it out manually and checked my numbers using Soap Calc. I am one that thinks a person should learn all they can about what they are making. While I am not a chemist I still want to know why something does what it does.

You also cannot just substitute a fat with another without re-configuring your NaOH requirement. Fats have different SAP Values, and you substituted Lard for Palm, but lard and Palm are so close, or the same, it would work to substitute one for the other. This does not work with all fats. Palm has an average SAP value of 0.141 and Lard 0.142

Sorry, probably to much information for now...

Last edited:
I made a few batches of soap with a recipe I found on a homestead site.The first had a crack and so yesterday I did the same recipe and stuck it in the freezer, thinking that would help with the cracking.Well , I forgot about it.Now I went to cut it and it just crumbles.Also, now I read that you need to run through the calculator and I tried but don't quite understand.will I be able to rebatch or is it all garbage?Can someone help?
Recipe
20 oz Goat milk
4.7 oz Water
6.7 oz Lye
12 oz Coconut Oil
12 oz Palm Oil(which I used Lard)
2 oz Olive Oil
1 oz Castor Oil

Hi there,
One of my goat's milk recipes uses 18 oz of milk and turns out really nice. I got the original recipe from lovinsoap.com, but made a couple of changes...I use sunflower oil instead of the avocado oil (just because of the cost) and 12 oz Coconut and 8 oz Palm instead of 20 oz Coconut. You just enter in the oils you use into Soapcalc and it will tell you how much lye to use.
The original recipe is:
Coconut oil 20 oz
Shea Butter 5 oz
Olive oil 20 oz
Avocado oil 5 oz
Castor Oil 4 oz
Sweet almond oil 5 oz
Goat's milk 18 oz
Lye 9 oz
I freeze the milk in a large freezer bag laid flat, and take it out to thaw slightly while I'm measuring, organizing etc. I mix the lye into the milk, set into a bowl of ice & water because I'm not patient enough to add only a teaspoon of lye at a time, and that keeps it from overheating.
After pouring the soap into the molds I put it into the fridge overnight.
Works for me...
The last batch I added ground oatmeal (2T) and honey (1T), and vitamin E, and oatmeal honey FO which is nice, though I prefer essential oils.
Anyway, thought you or perhaps someone else might enjoy this full-milk recipe.

I use a calculator as do most of us, but when I first started soapmaking I figured it out manually and checked my numbers using Soap Calc. I am one that thinks a person should learn all they can about what they are making. While I am not a chemist I still want to know why something does what it does.

So much yes here!!! I think I read about making body care soaps for almost a year before trying it, though I had been making laundry soap before that.. and wanted to tweak my formula, so started learning about SAP values.. now, I want to know every piece of this amazing puzzle, Haha!

Back