Help needed on Oxide Colours CP method

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakeedin

Reaction score
I am hoping that someone on this forum could help me out here. I was so dissappointed with the result of my colours used in my recent batch. The soap itself was fine, exactly the way how I wanted it to be. The swirls were fine. But when I put it under the water the colours were coming off. Is this normal? It is the first time I have ever used colours. Normally, I use botanical stuff and borrow their colours to colour my soaps.

My pH was 10.0. I have thought of everything and could not figure out what went wrong I mixed my Iron oxide Red, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium Dioxide with olive oil first, seperately.

Once I have brought my base oil to Trace I then split them into thirds. I placed each of the colours into their own batters then pour then swirled.
Curing time 6 weeks.

Where have I gone wrong?

The test:
Washed under the tap as normal and colours where coming off. The colours didn't stain the skin (thankfully). I was so glad I tested it on my arms only and not on my face. Just could not help thinking walking around looking like a little smurf.

Please help.

How much color did you use per pound/ounce/cup (whatever your measurement) of soap?
I'm assuming you mean that you got red and blue suds when you lathered up?

If you lathered up and you are getting coloured suds, it is most likely that you put in too much colour. It's normal if that is the case. I would just suggest to use less colour the next time.

That happened to me when I made my first CP with oxides and colorants. The three-color soap was beautiful and I love the way it feels. I even posted a picture. After using it, I realized I put too much colorant in it. Somehow brown, teal and green water is not that attractive. Fortunately, it washes out of my scrubbie. Also, you may have to experiment with small batches. Good luck on your next batch.

Oxides are a lot more potent than micas. I think I use about 1/4 teaspoon to color a batch with an oil weight of 800 grams and that ratio doesn't produce colored suds. Micas I use at double or even triple that rate.

What a relieve to hear from you all. I think I know where I have gone wrong now. I must have put in too much. So, I need to work out the ratios now. I'll start of with 1/4t/800g as see from tthere. Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back