Help !! Goat smell won't go away!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusieNYYFan

Reaction score
Hello all,
I bought some goat milk paste to make liquid soap from a Mennonite lady who raises them. I made a gallon and it turned out fine except that even though I used fragrance oil I can still detect the goat smell.
I also bought a loaf of GM soap to rebatch or cut and it has no scent.
Since I'm brand-spanking new to soapmaking can anyone shed some light on this??
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!
Sue:-D

Maybe her goats were eating something that stayed with their milk? Just a guess. I have used gm in soap many times and it has had no goaty smell.

Hello all,
I bought some goat milk paste to make liquid soap from a Mennonite lady who raises them. I made a gallon and it turned out fine except that even though I used fragrance oil I can still detect the goat smell.
I also bought a loaf of GM soap to rebatch or cut and it has no scent.
Since I'm brand-spanking new to soapmaking can anyone shed some light on this??
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!
Sue:-D

what's goat milk paste never heard of it.

If it gets to hot in the mold, the milk can get scorched and cause the smell to linger. Did you freeze the milk prior to use? Using it in a slushy form prevents it from getting too hot.

The paste is for making liquid soap. It's like applesauce. I bought it that way.
She sells a lot of goat milk soaps on Ebay and people love them.
Thanks for your responses :)

I use my goat milk frozen in cubes and do not let it gel. I place my molds on racks so air can circulate and put a fan on low to keep it cool. I never had detected any foul odor.

I wonder if the goats milk she used to make the paste was exposed to a billy goat, their stench can get absorbed by milk and it smells/tastes awful.

goat smell!

fisaco-buck.gif

maybe this will be of help to you

Beatty

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=21207

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptapitbull
Did you use fresh milk?

I find that the fresher the milk, the less goaty it smells. Personally I can't smell any goat in my milk or in my soap. Then again, some dairy breeds have smellier milk. If it's fresh, is it from a Toggenberg? My gals are LaMancha, which I feel is the best dairy breed. Could be biased...but it's true :wink:

It's not the breed of goat that makes the difference, but any one of the following reasons: what they are eating, the time of year, if a male is close to them or not, and if the goats are milked directly into a cooler or not.
I've kept fairly large herds of dairy goats all my adult life and have found that if the milk smells 'goaty' it's down to one of the reasons I've given above.

The richer their feed the more chance of having that goaty smell, or if a male is kept too close to the does will do it, during mating tiome has a big effect if your still milking your girls and if the milk is allowed to stand for more than a moment or two without being chilled down.

My dairy milks my irls directly into a refriderated stainless steel tank where the milk is constantly being stirred while more milk is being added as the goats are milked, but if you're only milking the odd one or two goats by hand I suggest that you put one of those freezer blocks in the bottom of your milking bucket so the milk goes directly onto it and causes it to chilled down immediately.

I make and sell around 500-600 bars of GM soap per month and have never had any problem with any of it even though it very often doesn't smell wonderful to begin with, but it always smells wonderful by the time it cures out

That happened to me previously and I just let it sat for awhile and the smell dissipated

maybe this will be of help to you

Beatty

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=21207

icon1.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoptapitbull
Did you use fresh milk?

I find that the fresher the milk, the less goaty it smells. Personally I can't smell any goat in my milk or in my soap. Then again, some dairy breeds have smellier milk. If it's fresh, is it from a Toggenberg? My gals are LaMancha, which I feel is the best dairy breed. Could be biased...but it's true :wink:

It's not the breed of goat that makes the difference, but any one of the following reasons: what they are eating, the time of year, if a male is close to them or not, and if the goats are milked directly into a cooler or not.
I've kept fairly large herds of dairy goats all my adult life and have found that if the milk smells 'goaty' it's down to one of the reasons I've given above.

The richer their feed the more chance of having that goaty smell, or if a male is kept too close to the does will do it, during mating tiome has a big effect if your still milking your girls and if the milk is allowed to stand for more than a moment or two without being chilled down.

My dairy milks my irls directly into a refriderated stainless steel tank where the milk is constantly being stirred while more milk is being added as the goats are milked, but if you're only milking the odd one or two goats by hand I suggest that you put one of those freezer blocks in the bottom of your milking bucket so the milk goes directly onto it and causes it to chilled down immediately.

I make and sell around 500-600 bars of GM soap per month and have never had any problem with any of it even though it very often doesn't smell wonderful to begin with, but it always smells wonderful by the time it cures out

I let my buck run with the does and have never noticed a "buck smell" in the milk when I drink it (raw) or when I use it in soap. And by buck STINKS! Milk shouldn't smell goaty unless it is old, or not chilled properly. If my milk has a smell, chances are my doe has mastitis.

Are you sure it's not that fresh soap ammonia smell? That goes away after a few days.

Susy...thanks for posting. I also made gm soap yesterday... I used It frozen because I was afraid it would burn... I unfolded today and yep...it kind of stunk...not quite sure of what, but it stinks... I am going to take all the advice and let it sit for awhile and see what happens....hope yours turns out well...

but if you're only milking the odd one or two goats by hand I suggest that you put one of those freezer blocks in the bottom of your milking bucket so the milk goes directly onto it and causes it to chilled down immediately.

PLEASE do not EVER use the "freezer blocks" also known as "Blue Ice"!!!!!!!
They will poison you if they leak and you ingest them! Freeze water and and use that instead!

Latest posts

Back