HELP!! Fragrance oil separating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudsandscrubs

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of an emergency! I just made a small batch of soap with a beautiful fragrance oil. Reviews said that it did accelerate and riced a bit but other than that worked well. I made my soap about an hour ago, just went to check it and it appears that there a small pools of what smells like fragrance oil beading up to the surface. This batch is supposed to be sold so is there anything I can do? Will the soap still have a nice scent? I don't think my soap over heated, my mold is warm to the touch but there's no sign of cracking. I also have melt and pour embeds on top. Is it possible that the embeds are melting and it just makes it seem like it's the fragrance oil pooling? Thank you!

I have little experience with this, but had it happen once when I did not seem to have mixed the EO in well enough. I just left the soap on its own and it reabsorbed most of the EO.
(I don't sell so wasn't very attentive to how the scent turned out. But I don't remember it being too bad.)

I have had this problem before and it should just absorb back in after setting for a while. Mine absorbs back in after it gets to room temperature.

On a long shot it could be the MP but I doubt it.

How long has it been in the mold when you noticed the pooling?

It was about an hour after pouring. Today it seems to be ok. I did notice that then I pulled the side of the mold away it was quite wet and sticky in some spots, I'm not sure if that's because of the oil or if I just checked it too soon. I'm going to let it sit a few more hours before completely taking out of the mold and see if it looks any better.

I was able to pull it out without a ton of damage. The bottom of the soap was still pretty sticky and I'll have to bevel the bottom edges to get them to even out but other than that it doesn't look too bad!

IMG_20200503_223933.jpg

Just for some reference. I'm going to wait to cut it until tomorrow because it's still really soft and I'm worried about soap getting stuck to the knife as I cut.

Back