Hello!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_c

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I joined the forum to get the inside track on soap making so I can make my own soap. I have recently gotten really tired of knowing a lot about skin chemistry and finding out that soap (detergent) manufacturers know nothing at all. Not to mention its always rewarding to use something that you have made and know what went into it.

I look forward to learning!

Adam

Welcome! I too get a great deal of satisfaction out of making my own, plus I like to be able to customize my creations for my own skin.

adam_c said:
I have recently gotten really tired of knowing a lot about skin chemistry and finding out that soap (detergent) manufacturers know nothing at all.
Uh, having spent years working on commercial soaps, I'll simply disagree with you now and get it over with. The scientists I've worked with are amazingly knowledgable and creative. And while I'm not really a chemist, I'd like to think I know at least a little...

nuff said

carebear said:
Welcome! I too get a great deal of satisfaction out of making my own, plus I like to be able to customize my creations for my own skin.

adam_c said:
I have recently gotten really tired of knowing a lot about skin chemistry and finding out that soap (detergent) manufacturers know nothing at all.
Uh, having spent years working on commercial soaps, I'll simply disagree with you now and get it over with. The scientists I've worked with are amazingly knowledgable and creative. And while I'm not really a chemist, I'd like to think I know at least a little...

nuff said

Thats fair. I am fairly certain that scientists hired by manufacturers are extremely knowledgeable. It just seems to me that they are tasked by their employer with creating products, through a lot of hard work, that are excellent at serving the purpose of the manufacturer. Which may not be in line with whats best for the consumer, at least this consumer. If they were able to create the perfect soap without the influence of the manufacturer I'm pretty sure none of use would have to worry about making soap except for hobby.

Is that a fair assessment or am I way off base?

Back