Hello from Spain

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like hot process too! I'm sure most love CP more because it allows more creativeness?
I am new to the forum too (well sorta as I stalked for eighteen months before joining) so I'm not really qualified to welcome you, but I will anyway! Welcome šŸ„°šŸ„°

Welcome! I also started out with only hot process and preferred that for a long time. Now I do mostly cold process because I like making the more detailed designs and using detailed molds. I can make a pretty fluid hot process soap but it is never quite as fluid or smooth as the cold process. As TEG said above, both processes have their place. Do the one that brings you joy. :)

Hello again, thank you for the warm welcome :)

I totally agree that both processes have their pro and cons. At the moment I prefer the hot process, because I donā€™t have enough space at home for curing the soaps properly and I donā€™t want to extend to much the curing process. I prefer to have all the potentially dangerous work done during the day when I am alone at home so when my daughter returns form school there is nothing caustic around. Of course, cold process designs are amazing and as soon as I ensure space and conditions for storing and curing I will be happy to get myself familiar with different CP techniques.
I donā€™t know if it is well accepted to post pictures of your soaps here (I guess it is, itā€™s a soap making forum šŸ˜‰) so I am happy to show you my soaps here, even though they not perfectā˜ŗ. This on the picture is a selection of different soaps from different batches. The flash makes the colors look brighter, in reality the colors are not so intense. I tried to rebatch some of them, because I didnā€™t like the way they look, they were too thick and I couldnā€™t get nice shapes. So for rebatching I added some milk as some soap makers recommend, and it really makes the soap more fluid. This is how I could get nice shape of the green and brown soaps. I wonder whether adding milk compromises the quality and shelf life of the soapsā€¦.or it only prolongs curing timešŸ¤”ā€¦.next week I will make more soaps and I will use one big mold. All the best and have a great week!
20210429_215701.jpg

Very pretty soaps, and yes, we do love pictures here! For future, you can add the warmed up milk, yogurt, or superfat oil at the end of the cook, to make your batter more fluid and pourable. Then you won't have to rebatch. :)

A note about curing: Hot process soaps are supposed to cure just like cold process soaps. The only difference is that HP soaps are safe to use immediately after they firm up, whereas CP soaps aren't safe to use for 48-72 hours, when saponification is complete.

But there is a big difference between safe to use, and ideal to use. Neither soap will be ideal to use for a few weeks at least. Both types of soaps need time to lose water weight and become milder to the skin. Sometimes that takes even longer with HP since it is usually made with more water.

If you start using any soaps - HP or CP - before four weeks of curing at minimum, they will melt away very fast, and the lather won't be as abundant or mild. You can certainly choose to do that if you'd like, but the curing time will make your soaps so much nicer and longer lasting. :)

Latest posts

Back