Hello from New Zealand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono Hislop

Reaction score
Kia Ora,
Jonathan here. I'm about five batches into my soap making journey. I've signed up as a newbie so I can get some feedback on things that have gone wrong on one or two batches, but I hope that as I progress I can help others who'll be in my shoes at a later date ;)

Its been great fun so far. I'm particularly interested in learning about turning sculptures into soap moulds (has anyone tried this with 3D prints?) and learning about the benefits of ingredients (and also the ingredients that I thought had benefits but turn out not to, like beeswax).

Much love.

Hey Jono, welcome to the forum! Another Kiwi here, you'll find there are a few of us about. There's heaps of discussion here, and sounds like you've got some ideas to keep it going, looking forward to hearing more from you!
Best wishes,
Paul

Ooooh - another one! ;)
Jono - I applaud you for having a profile name that does not have the word 'Kiwi' in it. Where are you hailing from? Paul and I can point you in the right direction for suppliers etc, if you need any help.
Make it so(ap)!

We can all have a yak on here while the Americans are asleep :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, Jono! Good to have you aboard.

SaltedFig has done some nice scutlpture with her soap using soap dough. A few here do use 3D printers for mold making, but I'm not sure how much of that is based on famous sculptures. Is that what you are after? Turning famous sculptures into soap molds? I think that's a great idea. Going to museums as well out door displays of art is one of may favorite past times in my travels. Some would make beautiful soap designs.

@earlene not quite :) just thinking some of my own 3D illustrations. I worry that those layered-lines you see on 3D models (due to lack of resolution) would take away from the smooth texture of the soap, but maybe I can sand those off.

@KiwiMoose @KiwiSoap hello! I'm Auckland based. I'd love a recommendation (anywhere in New Zealand) for buying essential oils and fragrance oils. I thought that places like purenature and zendesigns would be premium prices but they seem quite standard. Is there nowhere I could buy these oils for cheaper in bulk?

@earlene not quite :) just thinking some of my own 3D illustrations. I worry that those layered-lines you see on 3D models (due to lack of resolution) would take away from the smooth texture of the soap, but maybe I can sand those off.

@KiwiMoose @KiwiSoap hello! I'm Auckland based. I'd love a recommendation (anywhere in New Zealand) for buying essential oils and fragrance oils. I thought that places like purenature and zendesigns would be premium prices but they seem quite standard. Is there nowhere I could buy these oils for cheaper in bulk?
Hi Jono, those are the two I buy from the most. They’re pretty cheap if you buy a larger bottle of FO, say 100ml.
For my main soaping oils I buy Shea, avocado and castor off Pure Nature. Coconut oil from Zen. RiceBran and olive oil from the supermarket (RBO circa $4-5 lt, and OO circa $10.50). I use soy wax as my main ‘hard oil’ and I get that from candle creations.

Ooooh - another one! ;)
Jono - I applaud you for having a profile name that does not have the word 'Kiwi' in it. Where are you hailing from? Paul and I can point you in the right direction for suppliers etc, if you need any help.
Make it so(ap)!

We can all have a yak on here while the Americans are asleep :D

Oooo, another one, we're being invaded by kiwis :eek:.

Hi Jono, those are the two I buy from the most. They’re pretty cheap if you buy a larger bottle of FO, say 100ml.
For my main soaping oils I buy Shea, avocado and castor off Pure Nature. Coconut oil from Zen. RiceBran and olive oil from the supermarket (RBO circa $4-5 lt, and OO circa $10.50). I use soy wax as my main ‘hard oil’ and I get that from candle creations.

Nice! thanks for the info :) Do you have a favoured RBO and olive oil from the NZ supermarket collections? Ive been using pomace oil from zendesigns thus far. Do you notice much difference using olive oils, particularly NZ brand ones (if any)?

Latest posts

Back