Hallo from New Zealand

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiSoap

Reaction score
Hallo All! I am a budding soaper from New Zealand, I am interested in making vegan and palm-free soaps. I'm not so naturally artistic as the amazing KiwiMoose and don't have big ambitions of producing large batches (yet!), but am still curious to give it a try.

I bought a bar of soap from a local vegan and palm-free soap producer and, while it was nice on the skin it was soft and didn't last long. (Yes, I used a container to store it!) Then tried a local vegan and palm-free soap factory (they mill it, in proper meaning of the term!), nice and hard, and a bit more pricey.
Late last year I was thinking about what to do during my Christmas break and, coming across a couple of 'make your own soap' guides, thought it would be a nice easy challenge(!). Then I started doing more in-depth reading and realised to do it properly was gonna be a bit more work than those guides suggested!

Another product I was looking for and then subsequently stumbled across recipes for was vegan hair clay/wax. Seeing a cross-over in the ingredients lists I put in an order, and made my first product. Now with ingredients begging to be turned into soap, I continued my reading.

When I was researching what container to use for lye solution (I was on the verge of splashing out for some Pyrex! Ouch!) I found a helpful thread on SMF, and how glad I am I did! A couple of months on I am (somewhat) better educated, have a small collection of oils and butters, am about to complete my beginners set of equipment, and am rounding off ideas on recipes (I'll talk more on those another thread another day).

S*** is about to get real! (Sᵒᵃᵖ, that is!)

Thank you all for the community here, I hope to share more with y'all soon!

Paul

Hi Paul! Welcome to the soap addiction. And thanks for the compliment.
I've been using soy wax to make a harder bar - I get it from Candle Creations: https://www.candlecreations.co.nz/product/soy-wax-gw415/
Make sure you get the 415 - all the others have additives in them that make them more suitable for candles.
A typical recipe would include approx 20% SW, 20% olive, 20% Coconut, 15% Rice bran,10% Shea, 10% avocado or Apricot Kernel, 5% Castor. @Dean has dubbed me 'Princess Poly-Oil' :)
Before discovering the soy wax I did use cocoa butter and shea butter in higher percentages, but they get a bit costly. Happy to help out with any locally based info where I can.

Wave.gif
Hi Paul! Welcome!

Many thanks all for your warm welcomes, and esp KiwiMoose for pre-empting my questions about soy wax and providing a recipe to boot! Hope it's Ok if I go on a Like-ing spree through the site, there's so much helpful information out there and I'm sure I owe DeeAnna and IrishLass about +1000 likes each, and many more! (I won't give a full Thankyou speech, I'd miss too many names and the Academy Awards have already been!)

I'm developing an idea of how to start and have a couple of questions, so I will take those to the Beginners Forum, maybe see you there :) Thank you all!

Hope it's Ok if I go on a Like-ing spree through the site, there's so much helpful information out there and I'm sure I owe DeeAnna and Irish Lass about +1000 likes each, and many more!

LOL, I went on the same spree in the beginning, and very liberally sprinkled our dear @DeeAnna , @IrishLass, and many others with likes for all their super-helpful posts. It takes weeks just to read all the gold from back around 2012-2014!

WELCOME, good sir!
flowers-smiley-emoticon.gif

Oh, great, just what we need, another Kiwi! Just kidding. :) Paul, welcome. And don't even try to compare yourself to @KiwiMoose . Just. Don't. :) You'll feel great if you compare yourself to my noob self. :) Soaping is an awesome hobby and I've gotten a great deal of support and knowledge and laughs from the kind and silly folks on here. Let us know how it goes and we love pictures! Just grab a recipe, run it through a lye calculator, and have fun! It's magic to watch those ingredients turn into soap!

Latest posts

Back