Hello from Canada!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marion

Reaction score
Hi all! I stumbled across this forum, and I just LOVE it. Been reading it for a little bit now, and decided to join in.

I have a few batches of soap under my belt, but not many....and I haven't made any in quite some time, due to financial reasons, mostly. Also due to the fact that it is hard for me to get my hands on good supplies here where I am. (I am in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada) I had ordered a bunch of lye about a year ago, barely made a dent in it, and it was "lost" by my old roommate.....still worries me where it ended up.... :?

I can't remember where I ordered it from, or how much I got, I just remember it cost me a fair bit, and now that it's gone, I'm even more angry about how much I spent on it, and how little I used.

Anyway. I was hoping to find some information on lye, where to buy, if at all possible, I would prefer not to order online, but if so, best resources for that. I have looked around online a bit, but I haven't had a chance to get out to some of the hardware stores here to see if I can buy it....

I am sooooo anxious to get back into soap making. I still have lots things that have just been waiting to be turned into beautiful soap!

So anyway, Hello! :p

Welcome!

http://www.millersoap.com/soaplinksca.html is what I have book marked for my own reference (my fiancee is Canadian and my kids and I will be moving there later this year). Supplies aren't as plentiful as they are here in the states (and too many here won't ship there, grr) and of course shipping is obnoxious, but hopefully that gives you some ideas. I don't know how readily available lye is there, hopefully you can find it in a hardware store. Sorry to hear your room mate "lost" your lye, that's just messed up!

Thanks, AmyW. What part of Canada are you moving to?

And I know, I never did find out where that lye ended up....it was a pretty decent amount, I don't know if it went in the garbage or what.....

I know you can find lye in some hardware stores in the bigger cities, but I just moved back to the east coast, and it's pretty small town around here.....I've heard of Home Hardware carrying some lye in Toronto and other parts of Ontario, but I'm not sure about here....I will check when I get a chance. Here's to hoping. :)

Middle of nowhere, northern Alberta lol...I love it there though. Someday I want to travel from coast to coast, I've seen all areas of the US, next up is Canada. How do you like the east coast?

Well, I'm a born and raised maritimer, so it's alright, but it get pretty boring here. I just moved back from Montreal, so it's a big change to get used to it all over again. I'm just trying to make the best of it while I'm here. In my eyes, The Maritimes are a great place to vacation, go to school, or retire, and that's it. Haha.

Thanks! I'll post some pics as soon as I track down some lye! :p I can't wait! I've been stocking up on other ingredients and I am sooo excited to put them to use! And We are moving into a new place in a couple weeks, where I will finally have my own soap room! (No matter what my boyfriend says. :p)

Latest posts

Back