Having the hardest time with ash

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessrof

Reaction score
So I use loaf molds and flat acrylic molds but am having the hardest time with ash with my flat molds. And of course this mold is how I do my pretty swirls. I refrigerate after pouring and everything looks fine. I quit covering because they were getting condensation. The ash seems to develop after I remove from the fridge. I also spray with alcohol.... Thoughts? Help me, oh wonderful soap gods ;)

I've learned to just embrace the ash and try to get rid of it with steam, rather than trying to prevent it. Coz i have absolutely no idea how. A soaper once told me to mix the oils and lye at 50 and 48 celcius to prevent it, but i didn't care to find out since this temp is far too high for me to do my swirls and all that.

Which kind of alcohol are you using? Is it the one that is 90-some percent? There is more than one kind. I think the other is like 70-some percent.

I found I had lots of ash with the 70% isopropyl alcohol so quickly switched to 99%. I had a hard time finding it here as most pharmacies do not carry it but finally found it at Costco's pharmacy.

Ditto, I have found the same issue with the acrylic slab molds and the condensation. When I spray the alcohol it's almost like it doesn't evaporate and leaves condensation bubbles on top of my soap. I'm thinking some kind of absorbent barrier between cover and mold to prevent condensation but limit air to prevent ash?

I found I had lots of ash with the 70% isopropyl alcohol so quickly switched to 99%. I had a hard time finding it here as most pharmacies do not carry it but finally found it at Costco's pharmacy.

Is that the same as rubbing alc? I have read that rubbing alc helps prevent ash, and it is 70% - i may confuse the kinds of alcohol, if thats the case - sorry :)
Did you had more luck with using the 99%?

I imagine if swirly tops are your thing, cling film won't be much use.

Are you using tap water or distilled water? Ash is formed when the water evaporates off and stuff in the water is then left as a crust. If there are fewer impurities in things, I imagine there would be less ash.

Maybe in combination with spraying, you might get lucky?

Rubbing alcohol comes in two forms: isopropyl alcohol and ethyl alcohol as I understand it. I have always heard the isopropyl higher than 90% is the way to go and it really works. I found with the 70% I still got some ash along with what I think was basically water damage to the tops of my soaps.

I also use distilled water or rain water (or fresh fallen snow) as our tap water is very high in minerals.

I also think some FOs produce more ash. I adore certain vanilla FO but no amount of alcohol stops ash which can be up to few mm high.
On the other hand, I found 99% alcohol works really well with FOs that used to make lots of ash.

I am not sure what percentage of alcohol... It is just rubbing alcohol. I will look for the strong stuff. I always use distilled water....

ok what exactly does ash look like =I am new and I am really impressed w. everything I've done- no idea what ash looks like!! Help!!

If I am trying to prevent ash, I will put cling wrap over my soaps and have it touch the top of the newly poured batter. You have to put it on so it doesn't wrinkle and leave a funky pattern but if you have the discipline to leave it on for several days, then unmold and keep it covered with wax paper, it seems that ash is less. Once it's a week or so old, I remove any coverings. Also, the hot water dunk, the steam and the 90+% alcohol work well too. Nothing is completely preventative for some FO's but keeping it from touching air until it's completely saponified and a week old seems to help, for me anyhow.

I use 91% alcohol and it works moderately well. But when it doesn't, I have a little handheld steamer that works absolute wonders! It puts a nice shine on the soaps and gets rid of most ash. I would be lost without it.

ok what exactly does ash look like =I am new and I am really impressed w. everything I've done- no idea what ash looks like!! Help!!

The bar of mine on the left is what ash looks like. It is a white, powdery looking crust on top of CP soaps. Just cosmetic but also not pretty, especially on textured tops and pretty swirls. I used this pic in another thread I created about planing and beveling. You can see the one on the right is the "after" bar where I planed the ash off.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1389672890.066541.jpg

If you use a slab mold, there is more surface area than a loaf mold. Therefore it will tend to dissipate heat quicker. For me, when I do a full gel, ash is diminished. That is more difficult to achieve with a slab mold. Maybe try CPOP to see if that helps.

I also use the 91% alcohol and almost never get ash.

I use slab mold only, and CPOP all my soaps. And I always get some ash! Some of them are like lpstephy85 showed, some bit less, but there is no way to get away without ash. That’s probably oils im using, and recently when the problem escalated I started to use Babbasu… O – that may be the reason! But any way, I will try with alcohol!

I have read where some use a pure grain alcohol such as Everclear and they use a fine mist sprayer and mist the top after pouring in the mold. Pure grain alcohol will be 99% but it is ethyl alcohol as opposed to isopropyl alcohol. Does it make a difference which alcohol? Does one work better than the other? I have never tried either but will admit I am curious to give it a try.

Back