Adding glycerin to CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to add more glycerin to my soap then what my bar of soap already makes .

Do I add it to my water that I mix with my lye ?

Also in percentage how much should I add ?

Also do I have to change the superfat ?

Not sure why you'd want more glycerin than what saponification makes -- there is about 8% or so glycerin in cured bar soap.

lsg is correct that adding even more glycerin will cause problems -- soap will be prone to "sweating" and feeling sticky by absorbing water from the air, soap will be physically softer and not last as long, and skin may feel sticky after using the soap.

I don't have advice on how much to add or whether you should change the superfat. It's not something I'd do when making bar (NaOH) soap.

Not sure why you'd want more glycerin than what saponification makes -- there is about 8% or so glycerin in cured bar soap.

lsg is correct that adding even more glycerin will cause problems -- soap will be prone to "sweating" and feeling sticky by absorbing water from the air, soap will be physically softer and not last as long, and skin may feel sticky after using the soap.

I don't have advice on how much to add or whether you should change the superfat. It's not something I'd do when making bar (NaOH) soap.
I’m trying to make a tattoo after care bar . Could I just add glycerin to my ingredient list ?

I noticed the ones that I have found online have glycerin in the ingredient list ?

I’m thinking that for after-tattoo care, you’d be better off formulating some kind of water-based balm. Soap is soap, but what remains on the skin is more important for healing, in my (limited) experience.

I’m thinking that for after-tattoo care, you’d be better off formulating some kind of water-based balm. Soap is soap, but what remains on the skin is more important for healing, in my (limited) experience.
Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate?

I would love to have something that cleans in the shower. Then use the balm afterwards. I do have a balm in the middle of development. Im trying to figure out a soap.

A tat is categorized as road rash. Scabbing is common. If left to dry out. So, an antibacterial ointment is recommended. For the first few days. With a fragrance free moisturizer after that. Most of the ones. I have come in contact with. Where petroleum based. Something non petroleum would be nice.

A tat is categorized as road rash. Scabbing is common. If left to dry out. So, an antibacterial ointment is recommended. For the first few days. With a fragrance free moisturizer after that. Most of the ones. I have come in contact with. Where petroleum based. Something non petroleum would be nice.
Yes , I would like to create some good bar soap.

Scented and non scented .

Everyday tattoo Care

Healing tattoo care

Do you have any extract or additives in mind??

I noticed the ones that I have found online have glycerin in the ingredient list.
Commercial soaps are made from mass produced soap noodles, and the glycerin is removed from their soap making process in order to sell it as a separate bottled product. Chances are that the soap you're talking about had glycerin added back into the pre-made soap noodles.
I also don't recommend adding more glycerin into a soap recipe. Glycerin is a humectant and attracts water so your finished bar will become very soft...and even mushy. Yes, you could add a teaspoon of glycerin per pound of soap oils, but that won't be enough to benefit the skin.

Soap isn't used as a skin treatment because soap works chemically and electrically to REMOVE substances from the skin (the electrical charges causes particles to stick to it and it rinsed off). When people feel or see a benefit to their skin from using a particular soap, it's because of what isn't in the soap, rather than what is in it. Even adding anti-bacterial agents to soap is completely unnecessary because soap has already done the job of removing the bacteria.

Lye soap has a high pH - is that something a dermatologist would recommend for a fresh tattoo? If so, then I think a bar of soap that has few ingredients (to prevent allergies) and has a very low in cleansing number (so as to not remove any natural moisture from the skin's mantle) is a good idea.

Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate?

I would love to have something that cleans in the shower. Then use the balm afterwards. I do have a balm in the middle of development. Im trying to figure out a soap.
I just meant that as long as your soap isn’t harsh, it probably doesn’t really matter that much what’s in it. Maybe consider a higher-than-normal superfat to prevent drying?

My husband is a tattoo artist, and so am I. He wouldn’t ever recommend bar soap for tattoo aftercare. I would so long as you are creating a lather and then applying it so the bar never comes into contact with the tattooed skin.

The biggest concern is making sure it doesn’t end up an infection risk. We typically recommend things like Lubiderm in a minimal amount after showering. Some people prefer balms like Hustle Butter.

I’m trying to make a tattoo after care bar .
Once again...soap is a wash on/rinse off product. For 'after care', what you want is a lotion bar. What you want is a LOTION bar, something you can put on the skin and LEAVE it on. I came up with a recipe that several friends with ink swear by; it contains beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, shea butter and arrowroot powder. I'll have to dig through my Post-It Notes to find the recipe.

I would like to add more glycerin to my soap then what my bar of soap already makes.

Transparent / translucent soaps contain added glycerin. Transparent soap is rather tricky to make, as well as time, expense and labor intensive from my experience. However, I have not tried this method but this looks like it would work very well for a beginner.

EASY TRANSPARENT SOAP

If you try it, we LUV pictures! 😁 GOOD LUCK! ☘️

Transparent / translucent soaps contain added glycerin. Transparent soap is rather tricky to make, as well as time, expense and labor intensive from my experience. However, I have not tried this method but this looks like it would work very well for a beginner.

EASY TRANSPARENT SOAP

If you try it, we LUV pictures! 😁 GOOD LUCK! ☘️
Amazing .

I have a weird question about ingredient list on packaging . If I wanted to later on down the road sell the soap. And I made my recipe . We all know that cold process soap creates glycerin . Can you add that to your ingredient list for label appeal or is that just false advertising . ( everyone thoughts on that ? )

Once again...soap is a wash on/rinse off product. For 'after care', what you want is a lotion bar. What you want is a LOTION bar, something you can put on the skin and LEAVE it on. I came up with a recipe that several friends with ink swear by; it contains beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, shea butter and arrowroot powder. I'll have to dig through my Post-It Notes to find the recipe.
I would love to make it. If that possible . Lotion bar sounds amazing . Please let me know.

Thank you

My husband is a tattoo artist, and so am I. He wouldn’t ever recommend bar soap for tattoo aftercare. I would so long as you are creating a lather and then applying it so the bar never comes into contact with the tattooed skin.

The biggest concern is making sure it doesn’t end up an infection risk. We typically recommend things like Lubiderm in a minimal amount after showering. Some people prefer balms like Hustle Butter.
Yes I was thinking that . I do use some of my bar soap. I have a full body suit just finishing up my one leg . I do lather up then put the soap from my hands on my tattoo . I use Shea butter bars 22% they're extremely moisturizing and work . Then I normally put hustle butter on. But I don't use soap for a couple of day afterward anyways just hustle butter and wrap at night.

I did notice that MadRabbit has a bar soap for there aftercare. It got me thinking.

I actually recreated a similar product to hustle butter . Hustle butter need to make natural scent and there product would be amazing . Its by far the best tattoo aftercare in the game besides the FO ( which smells so good) Coconut Papaya.

I want to have 3 bars of soap , Balm , and butter , been trying to get a legal numbing cream but its impossible in Canada without going through a big medical distributor . min order 5000 at 8 buck a jar. I can't afford that :(.

I'll have to dig through my Post-It Notes to find the recipe.
Smack Laugh.gif
Smack Laugh.gif
Smack Laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back