Has this gone bad?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh weld

Reaction score
IMG_2231.jpeg

Hi I’m concerned that one of the oils I used might have been bad because of the orange can someone confirm before I throw it out

Hi @Josh weld - has your soap been sitting directly on that wire rack? I suspect this as the culprit based on what I can see. You definitely want to avoid that and at least put parchment paper down to set your soap on in the future. So sorry this happened to your soaps.

Hi @Josh weld - has your soap been sitting directly on that wire rack? I suspect this as the culprit based on what I can see. You definitely want to avoid that and at least put parchment paper down to set your soap on in the future. So sorry this happened to your soaps.
This picture is right after taking it out of the mold which is silicone probably 20 minutes after. I don’t know if it is the rack but it is definitely noted and can you confirm that it it is the rancid spots? Thank you for your time.also noted it doesn’t smell bad at all the sent is accurate. For more context.

Last edited:
I don't think that's from your wire rack because the area affected is so large - far more than what the soap touched. The soap is still fresh and hasn't had time for any a wire induced problem to spread.

Was there residue from a previous soap in that mold? Is there any of the discoloration on the other side of the bars? Was your fragrance oil yellow....about the color that you're seeing? Were all ingredients mixed thoroughly?

Just going by the picture I don't think that's rancid - at least from the oils you used. Silicone molds are hard to clean well, and there may have been residue that melded with your batter. Fragrance oil can sometimes leak out a bit (usually in droplets), but if that yellow area is softer than the other part of the bar....could contain a high concentration of fragrance.

I don't think that's from your wire rack because the area affected is so large - far more than what the soap touched. The soap is still fresh and hasn't had time for any a wire induced problem to spread.

Was there residue from a previous soap in that mold? Is there any of the discoloration on the other side of the bars? Was your fragrance oil yellow....about the color that you're seeing? Were all ingredients mixed thoroughly?

Just going by the picture I don't think that's rancid - at least from the oils you used. Silicone molds are hard to clean well, and there may have been residue that melded with your batter. Fragrance oil can sometimes leak out a bit (usually in droplets), but if that yellow area is softer than the other part of the bar....could contain a high concentration of fragrance.
The fragrance oil was a cherry blossom from Amazon and was dark yellow/brown. The affected area is on the top aka the bottom of the mold And nowhere else. It is softer on those parts. It also passed the zap test as-well. I also keep these mold super clean so I think you may be on to something about the fragrance.edit it also smells stronger in the colored parts.

Last edited:
The fragrance oil was a cherry blossom from Amazon and was dark yellow/brown.
I would say that that is your culprit right there. I know that FOs can pricey, but only buy from reputable soap suppliers...not Amazon or 'big box' stores.

And for future reference, unless your drying rack is made from plastic or silicone, you want to have a layer of protection between the metal and the soap. I line my metal trays with freezer paper.

The fragrance oil was a cherry blossom from Amazon and was dark yellow/brown. The affected area is on the top aka the bottom of the mold And nowhere else. It is softer on those parts. It also passed the zap test as-well. I also keep these mold super clean so I think you may be on to something about the fragrance.edit it also smells stronger in the colored parts.

That's what I thought probably happened. But soap can be full of surprises so we gotta check all the possibilities! How is the soap today?

That's what I thought probably happened. But soap can be full of surprises so we gotta check all the possibilities! How is the soap today?

It’s looking better it looks like some of something got absorbed back back into it but there are still some dark spots

Attachments

• IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
So that leads me to think it was fragrance oil. I'd let it get a good cure and see what happens.
The orange is all absorbed not even dark spots remain still smells good tried a bar today and it’s a beautiful cherry smelling and good feeling bar so it was just some annoying fragrance oil color that lasted less than a week thank you to all that commented.

Latest posts

Back