Acids in cp soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hiii all! I’ve been researching into the acids made up in soap, oleic, palmitic etc.
I’m hoping someone can confirm whether or not I’m correct in thinking a soap with a higher linoleic acid and lower oleic value is better suited to the face? And Oleic better for the body? Or am I talking complete nonsense lol?

TIA x

Last edited:
I don't know that this is a correct assumption -- what information do you have that leads you to think this is true?

What I do know is soap high in linoleic and linolenic acids (polyunsaturated) is more prone to going rancid than soap high in oleic acid (monounsaturated.)

Agreed. Also, everyone’s skin is different. You will want to make some small batches of different soaps to test, so you can find what you like.

For instance, my good friend prefers high oleic - which would totally make me break out and peel. My body prefers high lard soaps, which means more palmitic and stearic. My face generally prefers no soap at all, although I can do high-lard with goat milk no more that once or twice a week.

HTH, and happy experimenting! 😊

Hi! Thank you for your response! well really just Googling what they do, reading that oleic can disrupt the skins barrier and make it harder for the skin to absorb linoleic?

I’ve also read that the acids don’t have a comedogenic rating but oleic can have a higher rating? Maybe it’s just better suited to dryer skin?

Thanks for the feedback :)

Agreed. Also, everyone’s skin is different. You will want to make some small batches of different soaps to test, so you can find what you like.

For instance, my good friend prefers high oleic - which would totally make me break out and peel. My body prefers high lard soaps, which means more palmitic and stearic. My face generally prefers no soap at all, although I can do high-lard with goat milk no more that once or twice a week.

HTH, and happy experimenting! 😊
Hii! That’s great to know. I was worried if I made a higher oleic bar to sell and I said it was ok for the face, I would be completely wrong 🙈 lol thank youu!

Latest posts

Back