has this ever happen to anyone???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pai

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just made my usual 100% coconut oil soap, but this time, as soon as i added the lye solution it became a thick mess, like heavy trace. i mixed fast and ladled the mixture into molds. it hardened in a few hours and looks good...
any ideas? is it the oil? i asked the seller if anything was added to it, he said no. will the soap still be good? normally i mix for about 20 minutes. this time it was about 2 minutes. temp. was the same as i always do 38c.
any idea what happened there?

would appreciate any insight as i have no idea and don't find any similar stories on the net...:shock:

No fragrance shunt2011. it just immediately seized as i was pouring the lye solution. I have made this soap many times before at same temp. this has never happened...

Same lye, same water, same ratio? Same pots and so on? More info from you will make it easier for people to help - otherwise they will make suggestions, like Shunt did, which could be avoided if you explain as much as you can before hand

ok mr. gentelman, you are right.

i did everything the same as always- same pots same lye dealer (new bag though), same temp. lye and oil at same temp. The only difference is the oil, i got it from a different guy. thinking that must be it...? but why would that happen?

I would try making a small batch, ie 4oz of oil and see if the same thing happens. If it does then you know for sure it is the oil. HTH

ok mr. gentelman, you are right.

i did everything the same as always- same pots same lye dealer (new bag though), same temp. lye and oil at same temp. The only difference is the oil, i got it from a different guy. thinking that must be it...? but why would that happen?

Was it the same type? Fractionated, organic, virgin press, refined, supper crazy fast trace brand...?

I find that 100% coconut traces quickly and gets extremely hot without any insulation. I have to watch it for overheating. I like making 100% CO with 0 SF when it is cold outside, so I can set in on my enclosed, but not heated, porch once it has gelled. Otherwise it overheats.

Just a guess here, but an unusual, instant thickening of your soap batter might be caused by your new oil having a higher than usual amount of free fatty acids. Lye will instantly react with free fatty acids to make soap, so trace or seizing can happen in seconds.

This happens to fats as a normal thing as they age. It can happen quicker if fats have been exposed to excessive light and/or heat. The fat will not necessarily be rancid -- it might smell and look fine -- by the way.

Thank you deeAnna. I guess this is the answer.As i got almost the end of the 20ltr bucket from a local seller. I guess it has been there for a while and for sure it got hot. it is very hot here now.
so the question now is- will the soap be good? it looks good. i have just taken it out of mold and it seems ok....

Yep, the soap should be fine. It makes no difference to the overall saponification reaction that the lye reacted directly with the fatty acids vs. having to break down the fat first. The difference is in the speed of trace, not the soap itself.

DeeAnna, I love having you here on this forum! That info is so good to know, and it explains what I'd noticed in some oils as they got older (and worried they were unstinkily rancid)

Pai, I think we have the explanation, but I wanted to mention that even if you're starting at the same oil & lye temperatures, if your soaping room is hotter than usual that can affect things a little--not as dramatically as what your old oil did, but hot or cold rooms can be a factor.

Good news! my husband already told me he believes it will be the same, but i wanted to hear it from you over here. I truly appreciate everybody's help. I am so happy i have a place to ask my questions and you guys here actually take the time to answer, that is brilliant, THANK YOU!
loving my soap, and loving the soapmakingforum.:p

Latest posts

Back