Has anyone tried the African Soap nuggets from Columbus Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soaplady22

Reaction score
They are offering African Black Soap nuggets - are these the jet black kind?? Or the brown with dark spots?? Anyone try them yet??

Thanks in advance - just super curious.

I just saw those today. I wondered too. I have also seen an how to make black soap on hot to.com I believe it was. But I cannot find all the stuff to make it.

--- coconut oil, cocoa pod ashes, plantain skins ashes, palm oil ---

This is what Black Soap is made from - I have some here that I use (it's VERY soft) and was wondering which kind Columbus Oils is carrying, as the US imports it from Ghana as well as Togo (maybe others) and it is two different soaps completely. One is hard and black and one is soft and beige. But basically made from the same stuff.

Anyone??

Surely he must have thought he had a market if he's listing it now on the site. I sure am curious. I sense a phone call in my near future .... Hello, Mike? .... :D

Soaplady22 said:
--- coconut oil, cocoa pod ashes, plantain skins ashes, palm oil ---

This is what Black Soap is made from - I have some here that I use (it's VERY soft) and was wondering which kind Columbus Oils is carrying, as the US imports it from Ghana as well as Togo (maybe others) and it is two different soaps completely. One is hard and black and one is soft and beige. But basically made from the same stuff.

Anyone??

Surely he must have thought he had a market if he's listing it now on the site. I sure am curious. I sense a phone call in my near future .... Hello, Mike? .... :D

Did you ever find out what kind they carry?

I was just thinking about this yesterday - I'll have to call over to them and report back on what I find out. Probably no one there on the weekend.

Stay tuned ~ ~

I buy black soap from a vendor in the French Market in New Orleans. It is by far one of the best facial cleansers I've ever used. It leaves my skin soft and fresh feeling. I follow it up with a nice moisturizer.

Not sure how one would go about the process of making it though.

I spent some time a few months ago researching African black soap and if I understand it correctly it is a very inexact process. Especially for those of us who are used to using lye calculators and measuring everything to the gram.

I suppose the recipes are time tested but to me it sounds like you end up with something that has an unknown (and probably excessive) amount of unsaponified oils. Of course it could also go the other way too and be lye heavy.

I bought 5# some years back and it smelled absolutely wonderful - but was making my hands red and sore, more and more each time I washed with it. Took me a few days to pin down the problem, but it turned out to be new soap - lye heavy. After I let it sit a few weeks it was very nice to use, but the lovely smell was almost completely gone. A trade-off.

That's been my experience with it so far.
Just wondering why Columbus is selling some.
They were closed this weekend, but I'm phoning again tomorrow to ask.
I'll post back here what I learn.

Okay -

I just phoned Columbus Foods.

They have the brown lumpy kind with black spots. In various sized chunks, just like "lumpy oatmeal" the lady said. From Ghana.

So that answers our question!
It's the "good" kind!!

That's the kind I buy in New Orleans. I've never tried to make it into a bar, it's really crumbly so I don't think it'd rebatch well without extra added liquid. I just use the chunks.

Lisars said:
Do you guys rebatch your black soap? Is that possible? Just wondering if you could and them pour it into molds and get slices.

I bought some African black soap from Coastal Scents during the summer. I loved the lather but it was too drying for me so I rebatched it with some soaps that didn't have enough lather for my taste. It turned out nice. I'm even reluctant to give any away. :wink:

I realize this is an old thread but I just got some of this today from Soapers Choice, and yes it's soft and beige with dark specs. I bought it to add to my salt bars which I love for combatting acne issues, and how they make my skin soft, but I've had some customers mention African black soap to me and thought it would be an added bonus to shred some of the African black soap nuggets and incorporate it into my soap batter. What are your thoughts on this? Would you do it this way or remelt and mold it? Thanks for your input..

When I tried this I shredded it and added it to my regular soap recipe. I think at 25% or thereabouts. I liked how it turned out. I think it is too soft to use by itself. Good luck!!

Soaplady22 said:
When I tried this I shredded it and added it to my regular soap recipe. I think at 25% or thereabouts. I liked how it turned out. I think it is too soft to use by itself. Good luck!!

I agree it's soft, washed my hands with a little chunk of it..first time trying it and it sure melts away quickly..doesn't seem as moisturizing as my cp bars, but didn't dry out my skin either. Thanks for your feedback on this, that's exactly what I had in mind, but this ABS soap isn't cheap so wanted to hear how others were using it. I'll probably add it to my sea salt essential oils soaps and tea tree goat milk bars for customers who suffer from acne, psoriasis, etc..

Shar said:
I'll probably add it to my sea salt essential oils soaps and tea tree goat milk bars for customers who suffer from acne, psoriasis, etc..

Be very careful about advertising medical claims to your customers. This may very well help with those ailments but you can't advertise that or your soap may be considered a drug and subject to all sorts of regulation.

xyxoxy said:
Shar said:
I'll probably add it to my sea salt essential oils soaps and tea tree goat milk bars for customers who suffer from acne, psoriasis, etc..

Be very careful about advertising medical claims to your customers. This may very well help with those ailments but you can't advertise that or your soap may be considered a drug and subject to all sorts of regulation.[/quote.

I always keep that in mind, and only label the soap as sea salt soap with tea tree, lavender, & patchouli essential oils for example..
I don't list it as a complexion soap or for treating acne or anything like that but if they ask which soap is best to use for acne I just tell them what other customers like according to feedback I hear and sometimes will give a free sample for them to try..you're right in pointing this out though as I'be seen others label their soaps as acne soap and I really think that is a big no no...

Latest posts

Back