Has Anyone Come Close to a Copycat Recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aharvick

Reaction score
I always enjoy trying others products to see where mine may fall short or to find new ideas. I absolutely love PRÉ de PROVENCE! The feel, the shape, and scent are great. I have been trying to find a mold similar and cannot find one. I may have to make one before it is all said and done.
Has anyone came close to a bar like this? It does say pure vegetable but claims to contain shea butter. I have 2 bars and they have a waxy smooth appearance.
I would love to develop a bar with this appearance and feel. Any ideas? I am attaching pics of my bar and link. Please excuse the knicks, its been handled.
Thanks in advance!

https://predeprovence.com/collectio...ps/products/milk-soap-bar?variant=41493425094

Last edited:
Have you ever made a mold before ? They are super duper easy message me if you have any questions

Hopefully someone has a recipe similar to what your looking for ^_^

You are not going to be able to duplicate the feel of a triple milled soap. Milled soaps are run through milling a machine that the home soapmaker is not going own. Milled soap is ground and pressed 3-4 times resulting in a very hard smooth bar of soap. Grinding and rebatching is not the same as milled soap even through some soapmakers sell and call it milled soap. What you can do is duplicate the ingredients but it you want truly milled soap you need to purchase it

Ditto what Carolyn said ^^^. This is how triple-milled soap is made:

Unless you have triple-milling machinery, you'll never achieve the same super dense, smooth, hard and waxy feel of a soap like Pre de Provence.

IrishLass :)

It will also be hard to duplicate a recipe when there is no ingredient list. Is it olive based or palm based? Does it have any synthetic detergents in it? You could spend forever trying.

As far as the shape, its not made in a standard mold but pressed in a machine. The shape is nice though.

They have their ingredients lists buried here: https://predeprovence.com/pages/product-ingredients

Palm and coconut oils are the main soaping fats. Shea, sweet almond, and a couple of synthetic detergents are listed after the fragrance. It would be hard to make a handcrafted soap that would look like this. You could probably re-create the recipe, but not the appearance.

A friend bought me a bar of the tomato vine & strawberry for my birthday. We had been out shopping a few weeks before that and came across them in a kitchen supply store. I refused to buy it because there was no ingredients on the label, but she felt I needed it for scent reference to make my own. It is a nicely shaped soap, but I haven't used it yet because I strongly suspected that it was a detergent soap, thanks for finding the ingredient list to verify that it is @DeeAnna

I wonder if one could make a silicone mold with the short end open (rather than the long end), if the silicone would give enough without warping to unmold. Then the only pour surface would be one face of the short ends rather than the face of a long end. I suspect it wouldn't work without damaging the mold, and if I didn't already have a to do list the size of Mount Rushmore I'd try it just for kicks (and so I don't feel guilty about my friend spending money on the soap).

Back