Has aanyone used this milk?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tweetibyrd

Reaction score
Hi, had some left over evaporated milk from making mashed potatoes :) and was wondering of I could use it in my soap? Has anyone used evaporated milk before? To my understanding it is just milk that has had some of the water removed... so it should work. Right?:-?:???:

Yep, it will work. I haven't used evaporated but I have heard of it! Let us know if you decide to do it and how it works out.

Yes, I have used evaporated milk. If I remember right, I dissolved the lye in water and added the milk to the soap at thin trace.

I've used evaporated milk and just did an evaporated goats milk.
I did it like my other milks and froze it.
It does tend to yellow more IMO.

Yikes I didn't think about the yellowing!! I might have to put this one on the backburner till I am feeling braver. Or figure out a way to make that discoloration work for me.

I use only food derived colors in my soaps.(trying to avoid allergens) I put about 2 tablespoons of paprika and 6 oz Olive Oil(pomace) into a jar with a lid(I reuse pickle jars, yeast jars, maraschino cherries jars, etc) and put them into a pot with enough water to come halfway up the jar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about half an hour or so. Let it cool and you can pour off the oil without disturbing the paprika in the bottom. I pour into a coffee filter to squeeze it to get the last of the oil out.

I substitute some of the colored oil for the olive oil in the recipe. How dark you want it determines how much you use. Usually not more than 1 oz/16oz oils batch. This covers up all the yellowing I get from milks.

When I made goat's milk, I was very afraid of color issues, so I used 2-3 oz, and used cinnamon, clove, nutmeg EO's to make it seem like it was all intentional. It looks like spice cake. Next time I may put some uncolored soap on top to look like frosting and put it in my petite loaf pan.

Latest posts

Back