Hard Water Question: Does Borax Work To Soften Hard Water?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welder

Reaction score
Hi again folks.

I'm wondering if anyone here has to soften their water?

If so, what do you use?

I read somewhere that borax works for that, but I'm not sure, because I've never tried it (never had to).

The reason I'm asking this is because I'm starting a commercial soapmaking operation in Africa and the area the soap will be made in has no running water.

They use either creek water or rainwater.

It rains a lot in Ghana. Rain is caught as it run off of rooftops, but I'm not sure that my sister-in-law will have enough rooftop run-off available to supply the soaping operation when it grows to a larger capacity.

If there isn't enough rainwater she may need to use creekwater. If so, then she may need a cheap way to soften the creekwater.

If borax works, and if it's cheap enough, and if it's available locally, then she'll be fine with using creekwater.

Of course the creekwater may not have enough colloidal mineral content to be a problem anyway. Testing will tell, I guess.

Any input on this topic?

x

another unscientific answer: years back i lived way out in the sticks and had artisian spring water and a fast moving creek behind my house. i used both, since hauling water from town over 40 miles away was not an option and the well and the creek water was sweet and potable. i used it just as it was.

i have been told you can mix 1/4 tsp of borax to 1 gallon of water, blend thoroughly and then let sit 24 hrs for any sediment to settle, i have never tried it, but you can try a small batch state-side first.

good luck, it sounds like a marvelous endeavor!

x

just a thought, i lived at the foot of the north cascades mtn range, and my creek was pure snow fed runoff-no chance of chemicals or pesticides.

i would be concerned about rhe source of the water and the possibility of agricultural or manufacturer's chemical runoff.

Hard water is GENERALLY not an issue with soaping, although certain components may promote DOS. I think iron might be problematic, not sure what else.

Another thing to test out.

Thanks for the input gang.

Hopefully, my SILs' local creekwater will do fine.

Latest posts

Back