Hard Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drtysoap

Reaction score
Im not sure how to make a hard soap with vegetable oils, any ideas. Recipes would be very helpful :D :D :D

Hello from Salem!

Olive oil makes a very hard bar, but takes a long time to cure. Palm oil, coconut oil, and lard are good basic oils for hardness. My base recipe at this time is palm oil or lard, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil, and cocoa butter and that is giving me a very hard bar that lathers and bubbles very well. I started out with palm oil, coconut oil, and olive oil.

hard bars...

AmyW gives great advise for oils which can be used to make hard bars of soap. I love hard bars of soap and make all the soap for myself out of these oils. The females in my life prefer soap made from the softer oils.
I use a combination of CO, CB, PKO, PO and especially Lard if you don't have reservations about using it. I personally don't because I buy lard at the market and its very pure. One more oil I never make soap without is Castor Oil because of the conditioning, bubbly and creaminess it offers to soap. But, only up to about 6 or 7 %. I go up to 10.
One thing you should do is to get very acquainted with SOAP CALC....
http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp
It will give you all the properties of most oils that are used in soap. You will be able to see at a glance the properties of oils...
Good luck and happy soaping.
Jerry S
:lol:

Well guys, the OP asked for VEGETABLE oil recipes. As we know, lard is not a vegetable oil (I love lard).

As Jerry said, get acquainted with soapcalc. Try this in soapcalc and then adjust to see what qualities you would like.

50% OO
25% CO
25% PO

Makes a nice bar with a 4 week cure. Or course, the longer the cure the better.

c.a.p. said:
As Jerry said, get acquainted with soapcalc. Try this in soapcalc and then adjust to see what qualities you would like.
well considering that soapcalc says that olive oil makes for soft soap, don't count on it too much.

good question

(don't forget babassu - tho it's pricy)

True about Olive Oil. For veggie I like coconut olive little castor sometime cocoa butter or shea butter. Plug and play till you like the numbers.

my soapmade from palm oil and become very hard soap as big block soap right now i looking any sugestion to make them cut into small piece without split or break (into many piece, hiks hiks).

i have tried with kitchen knife ( warmed with fire) but the process not very smooth it supposes split into two piece but unintentional become three parts of soap block.

i want to make it into more small square soap how to cut the soap?

Back