Hand Milled Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darthneck

Reaction score
First off, I am COMPLETE newb at this and have only made one small batch of CP soap the other day to try my hand at it. My question is..can I just make a large batch of CP soap as a base and then use that to make several different smaller batches of different kinds of soap? Also how does the milling thing effect curing time? Like, if I made a CP soap, then 2 days later milled it to make a fancy soap I would have to then leave it to cure for several weeks...but if i let the original soap base cure for several weeks before I milled it into something else, would it need additional curing time or several weeks, or just a day or what? Also can things like milks and honeys be added at the re milling stage?

Hi
Yes, you absolutely can make one main batch of CP, and then re-batch (or handmill) separate portions of it, so that you essentially end up with a few different scents/types of soaps.
When rebatching, or handmilling, whatever you like to call it, the fresher the soap, the easier it is to rebatch, because it still has a fair amount of liquid present, the longer the soap cures, the less water it contains, thus making it drier and harder.
So, make your cp, then rebatching a couple of days later works fine. And yes, you would still have to cure your rebatched soaps. The less liquid you can get away with adding the better, if you add too much it can make your soap "spongy". As a general rule, you can add 1 tbspn per pound of oils of additional oil/water/liquid. You can use milk or cream as well.
Lindy is the rebatch queen, she is very good at it, so hopefully she will come by and give you some more tips.

Speaking of spongy soaps...

I rebatched some lavender that I hated the look of. I added milk a little bit at a time to keep it moist while it softened and then I guess I added too much because now he bars are very soft. Do I just give it lots of time to harden or is it possible that now they are ruined?

You can wait and see what happens , in my experience they stayed soft . But who knows .If you have room to store them I would wait and see what happens :D

Kitn

Irena I am a terrible rebatcher also. I would rather shred a batch of soap to mix through a fresh cp batch for confetti soap than rebatching
My hat's off to anyone who can do it!

ChrissyB said:
Irena I am a terrible rebatcher also. I would rather shred a batch of soap to mix through a fresh cp batch for confetti soap than rebatching
My hat's off to anyone who can do it!

I agree. I'm a shredder/chopper. I can't rebatch to save my life and it's not fun. I don't want soaping to be a chore.

So why exactly is it a chore? Im speaking from no experience but it seems that it would be easier to make a large batch of plain soap and then be able to use that to make a bunch of different kinds. Or is it just not as fun as playing with lye?

Also is "rebatching", hurray new term, the way that you get those soap loaf bars that have a bumpy, or wavy top to them? I like that look.

I find rebatching to be a chore because of the process and it seems like (at least with me) I can take an ugly bar of usable soap and by adding a tad too much water or milk and destroy it. I would rather take more time on the front end and create a better bar than to try to morph it into something I can't use. That's just me, not everyone.

A chore to me might be bliss to someone else.

My rebatch always came out very bumpy with some air holes. It looked more like brown mass 'trying" to look like soap.
With CP, I get nice smooth tops, sides and bottom. I can texture just the tops, or make layers that are smooth, or swirl different colors.

When I first started soaping, I read in a book "that no batch of soap should ever go in the bin, if it doesn't work out it can be saved with a re-batch".
Pig's bum! I'd rather grate it up and use it for laundry soap than try to make a pretty re-batch. I don't know how some soapers do it, there must be a trick. Mind you I can't HP either.

Wow darthneck, you are a total newbie. I was earlier this year too :D

I think I get what you want to do but you wont get the effect with hand milling. Those triple milled soaps you see in the shops are done by huge machines to get the perfect smooth texture. Hand milling gives a much lumpier texture and you can't make the nice waves on the top like you want.

Mix your logs of soap up one at a time, it will give you heaps more control over the colour, texture and decoration on the top.

Latest posts

Back