Hair conditioning oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovedoxies

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have medium length fine straight hair. I heat style it everyday. Not so much heat from the dryer but the styling apparatuses. The waving wand, curling wand, curling iron, flat iron...etc.

I've been using coconut oil on my hair for years. I'll generously apply it before bed time and wash out in the morning, hoping most of it has absorbed. This winter my hair got unbelievably dry so I bought some other oils to use.

I was wondering about a good combination that will help combat the styling abuse?

I have:

Grapeseed
Sweet Almond
Jojoba
Avacado
Moringa
Marula
Apricot
And of course Coconut and Olive oils

I've found the olive to be too thick and difficult to wash out of my hair. I add the moringa and marula to my face creams.

Please share some combinations that have or have not worked for you. I'd like to use these more for conditioning at night rather than a prestyling protectant.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but castor oil is a good pre-shampoo conditioner. It's sticky and disgusting-feeling, and it requires some elbow grease to wash out. Some people use it as a hair growth oil.

Argan oil is excellent, also. If used in small amounts, you can leave it in all day. It is an important ingredient in Moroccan oil.

ps - I see you wanted to know which of the oils you already have would be good. I would say jojoba oil, since it is a liquid wax, and similar to sebum, so your hair will like it. Just use it in small amounts, several drops rubbed all over your hair should do the trick.

Last edited:
What about fractionated coconut? I have read that it is good for dry hair. Has anyone used that? Does liquid silk work if mixed with oils and used as Doxie does?

Liquid silk? That sounds like something I would like to try. I've attempted to use the silk powder mixed with water and conditioner but it did not dissolve, ended up clogging and ruining the pump on the spray bottle.

I use a hair conditioner recipe from Brambleberry that calls for that, so I ordered that when I decided to make my own conditioner. In the last yr I have quit using any commercial product to clean or condition my hair and it has gone from dry/brittle to nice and soft. But every once in a while it seems a little dry. In those times I put some extra oil on it and let it sit. I am not coordinated enough to use blow driers or curlers, I just let it do what it wants and hope that I like what it chooses for each day. Last night I poured a little fractionated coconut oil in my palm then the avocado and used those on the dry sections of my hair. I didn't use any of the silk then. Today my hair is nice and silky like it should be.

Back