Had an interesting experience at Lush today...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
carebear said:
If your only experience with Lush is walking into the store I feel truly sorry for you.

I assume this was directed to me. I'm not sure why you're being snarky. I've not only walked into their stores, I've used their products. I don't like them. To each her own. :wink:

Avalon said:
carebear said:
If your only experience with Lush is walking into the store I feel truly sorry for you.

I assume this was directed to me. I'm not sure why you're being snarky. I've not only walked into their stores, I've used their products. I don't like them. To each her own. :wink:

To be honest, I have to agree. Unless you tested Lush Products, you don't really know how much better your own soap is and how much you are NOT missing by never buying any of their products again :D

I do love the names for their soaps and some of their FOs are divine

Avalon said:
carebear said:

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be snarky. I just meant what I said. There was no "snark" intended. And it wasn't directed at you in particular but at everyone & anyone who's only experience with Lush is in their stores. I'm glad you got a chance t try their products. Bummer that you didn't like them. I do. To each her own. :wink:

I do agree that my CP soaps are better than theirs in terms of skin caring - I like the scents of theirs. Not all my products are better than Lush's but some are (like the soap).

I had never heard of Lush before here. I don't believe there are any stores in Wisconsin, though could be wrong. I have no problem sampling other soapmakers wares, as I believe that is how I will learn to craft something better for myself. However, oddly enough, I was at Summerfest last night and in the "Arts" tent, there was a local soaper selling for the first year ever. I loved how his product looked and smelled, but when I said I might like to stop back later and pick up a bar (didn't want to purchase it before the Bon Jovi concert and drag it in there with me only to leave it behind), my husband piped up to me a little off to the side and said he didn't want me to buy his stuff because I make my own. Huh? He was rather cute about the whole thing.

Oh, and for the first time, he used my whipped fragrance-free soap in the shower and didn't complain. :wink:

jarvan said:
I had never heard of Lush before here. I don't believe there are any stores in Wisconsin, though could be wrong.

They have one listed in Wauwatosa. Not sure how far that is from you.

jarvan said:
Oh, and for the first time, he used my whipped fragrance-free soap in the shower and didn't complain. :wink:
well there ya go then - the silver lining!!!

I didn't know there was a Lush in Wauwatosa. I will have to look for them, but not sure I want anything from them after hearing how things really are!

Oh no you should try, I love figs and leaves, and skinny dip. They have a really nice lavender soap too called ooh la la. Like care bare said once you get the product out of the shop you can smell each porduct. I used to work in Lush, but all the ballistic dust reacted with my face, and created red itchy patches, but if you are in there for a browse it's fine!

vivcarm said:
... once you get the product out of the shop you can smell each porduct. I used to work in Lush, but all the ballistic dust reacted with my face, and created red itchy patches, but if you are in there for a browse it's fine!

Reminds me of my reaction to Yankee Candles... I can't get within 10 feet of their entrance or I start to get a migrane.

xyxoxy said:
vivcarm said:
... once you get the product out of the shop you can smell each porduct. I used to work in Lush, but all the ballistic dust reacted with my face, and created red itchy patches, but if you are in there for a browse it's fine!

Reminds me of my reaction to Yankee Candles... I can't get within 10 feet of their entrance or I start to get a migrane.
that's funny, I can't either. yet I can make candles in my own home. go figure.

and the woman in the next office works with candles and burns them all day.

that's funny, I can't either. yet I can make candles in my own home. go figure.

and the woman in the next office works with candles and burns them all day.

I burn candles and make scented soap, though I don't like walking past Yankee or B&B works. I think the difference is not having multiple scents all crammed up my nose at one time.

Tabitha said:
[
LOL, you sound like me. Someone will say "but XXXX is a natural ingredient" to which I reply "so is cat poop but I don't want it in my lotion :roll: ."

Lol.....way too funny! I'll have to remember that one!

As for Lush stores.....I've tried to look around at their products but almost run from the store screaming each time. I find the combined scents so overwhelming (actually stinky) that my eyes and nose start to itch and my lungs start to tighten. Most unpleasant.

I think it's all of the open bath bombs etc. It's just too much. I'm afraid I'm not too impressed with the look....at least the last time I was there the soap looked like big lumps of moldy cheese. Mind you I'm a little stressed when I'm looking :lol: .

Maybe one day I'll attempt to purchase a single bar.

vivcarm said:
Oh no you should try, I love figs and leaves, and skinny dip. .... !

My favorites too :D
Found the skinny dip dupe FO - great! So now I've got some home made skinny dip salt bars!
I love the Red Rooster too (Retro collection) - of course that is not a difficult one to duplicate ;)
As I wrote before, I wouldn't mind working with their scent expert for a while 8)

eucalypta said:
vivcarm said:
Oh no you should try, I love figs and leaves, and skinny dip. .... !

My favorites too :D
Found the skinny dip dupe FO - great! So now I've got some home made skinny dip salt bars!
I love the Red Rooster too (Retro collection) - of course that is not a difficult one to duplicate ;)
As I wrote before, I wouldn't mind working with their scent expert for a while 8)
Eucalypta, where did you find the skinny dip dupe, I do my own but it is not quite the same? I lOVE that smell!

Just found this thread and I found it very interesting so I'm bumping it up!

I think I read somewhere that "fragrance" in their ingredients list is just EO and a way to keep their blends a secret. I always though it was a bit weird since they don't smell like just EO and they do list some of the EOs they use.
They have SLS and parabens in most of their products too and a lot of their soaps aren't soaps, they're SLS based. And the massage/lotion bars... some of them contain fresh fruit but no preservative? How does that work?

I used to be a big Lush fan because I thought they were all natural. I still like a lot of Lush products though, they're not bad, just not all that natural.

Latest posts

Back