Ground Pumpkin Seeds in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've searched and I haven't found any posts on adding ground pumpkin seeds to soap. I would think finely ground pumpkin seeds would act as a mild exfoliant in soap. I'm going to puree some of the pumpkin to add to the batch; adding ground pumpkin seeds would make the bars extra "pumpkiny." Has anyone tried this?

I don't have an answer to your question because I've often wondered the same thing myself, but I'm guessing that ground Pumpkin Seeds might be kind of sharp unless they're almost powdered. I've wanted to try them, but the only thing I feel comfortable enough trying is just putting whole seeds on top for decoration. I think it'd look quite nice, but it'd be great if they could be ground and used as an exfoliant as well. Hopefully someone else will have an answer for us :)

Pumpkin Seeds

Well, I put some raw pumpkin seeds in my spice grinder and give it a whirl. I ground it for several minutes but there were still chunky pieces in the mix. I tried to put it through a strainer to collect the finest particles but the ground seeds were too moist and fibrous for anything to make it through. I ended up throwing it out.

I suppose drying the seeds first might yield a better result but I think I'll stick with ground almonds. They're easy and wonderful for the skin.

I just come on here to see what 'bits' people were putting in.
I tried oatmeal, which I'd whizzed up a bit first and nearly drew blood!
I would think punky seeds would be the same - But I love the idea of ground almonds (May I pinch that idea?)
I wonder if it's the husky part that makes it scratchy.
I got some with bran in it, it looks very wholemeally - for brown bread eaters! But I think it'll be a bit soft.

Just to put my 2 cents in, I used ground oatmeal in a batch (put in the food processor, actually) and it's just the right amount of exfoliation - not too harsh. I haven't made that many soaps so far, but the oatmeal and honey, unscented, is my favorite so far.

I use regular rolled oats and the only grinding I do is whatever gets ground a little with my SB. I love the feel of it.

Rolled oats

I also used rolled oats, grinding it finely in a spice grinder, then putting it into a fine mesh strainer and tapping the strainer so that only the finest particles get through. I do this on a sheet of parchment paper to collect what I'm going to add to the soap. This method never leaves any scratchy bits. My last batch was made with goat milk, oatmeal and honey and it turned out beautifully.

Latest posts

Back