Ground corn cob in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janie

Reaction score
I was reading one soap blog recently and saw they used ground corn cob in soap versus oatmeal. Anyone try this?

They sell that as an alternative to orris root for potpourri. I wouldn't use it in soap -=- but who knows? Maybe it's worth a shot.
But oatmeal is a lot easier to get and great to use.

Soaplady22 said:
Maybe it's worth a shot.

It might be worth a shot if you sifted the bigger pieces out. But still, I'd be concerned about a harder piece possibly scratching someone. I'd stick with oatmeal but that's just my opinion. On the other hand, it might be interesting to try. I might pull out some soap when I make my next batch and try some in small bar. It can't be scratchier than cornmeal. :lol:

However, you can easily find corn cob at Walmart, Target or someplace like them. It's in the pet section among the cedar chip bags. Hartz puts it out for small critter bedding. It's great for sachets and to put in small organza bags for air freshners. It makes very quick and easy stocking stuffers. :wink:

interesting idea, though it sounds a little scratchy! speaking of corn, i've been eyeing all the pretty fresh corn at farmers' markets and wondering if anyone's tried to make fresh corn soap. maybe like a late summer bar of fresh corn and tomatoes with rosemary and basil EOs? kinda like a salsa bar! :) seriously, i'm not kidding!

janie -

I tried scrubbing some corn cob on my skin and it is rough. So I tried to grind it smaller in a Cusinart. It didn't really work so I picked out the bigger pieces and soaked the smaller ones in a little distilled water for about 4 hours. (I didn't mean to leave them this long but I got interrupted and had to leave for awhile.)

I took 6 oz out of the batch I had made and stirred the corn cob in it. I'll let you know in 4 weeks how it turns out.

paillo -

A salsa bar sounds intriguing. I say go for it! I've heard of tomato and basil soap. Although I don't know how well fresh corn might work. It could turn brown.

Hazel said:
janie -

I tried scrubbing some corn cob on my skin and it is rough. So I tried to grind it smaller in a Cusinart. It didn't really work so I picked out the bigger pieces and soaked the smaller ones in a little distilled water for about 4 hours. (I didn't mean to leave them this long but I got interrupted and had to leave for awhile.)

I took 6 oz out of the batch I had made and stirred the corn cob in it. I'll let you know in 4 weeks how it turns out.

Can't wait to hear how this turns out. My BF thinks the scratchier the soap the better. He requested I put sand in my next batch (I sincerely hope he was joking, and no I will not be putting sand in soap)

The salsa soap sounds intriguing as well. Maybe a tomato leaf fragrance?

I've heard of people putting sand in soap. I wondered how clean the sand was and then I thought about all that sand going down the drain. Although I can understand some people might like the extra scrubbiness.

Have you tried pumice for your BF?

It sounded like a great idea when i read the blog but think I will stick with my good old fashioned oats.

Hazel:
No, not yet since I'm still a newb to the soap world and haven't made much. The idea of sand kind of wigs me out. I'll probably just stick with oatmeal/poppyseeds/cornmeal because those are things I have in the cupboards

I like oatmeal in soap. Cornmeal is very scratchy and I didn't like it at first. Later I did like it because it either softened a bit in the soap over time or I got used to it.

janie -

I'm so sorry I completely forgot about replying about corn cob. I was doing a search and came across this post. Better late than never, right?

It swelled up in the soap and was scratchy but not too bad. I didn't care for it and my sister didn't like it, either. I think for a novelty soap it might be okay. It might be amusing to some people to buy corn cob soap.

One concern I had was the swollen cob going down a drain. I don't know if this would create problems in some people's drains but I wanted to mention it.

I think it wouldn't have been too bad if I had been able to grind the cob into more of a powder. Then it would probably be wonderful in a foot soap, mechanic's soap or gardener's soap.

sand

about the sand, I've tried it just to experiment and play with some decorators sand (don't worry the bag said it was sterilized sand) My husband loves using after working on gun parts and when he does things that get his hands extra dirty. It works a lot like pumice and is great for a mechanics soap. But I will most likely keep that soap for just my house, because of the sand I used.

Latest posts

Back