Great Book

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie

Reaction score
There has been some talk about the Cavitch books so I thought I would see if any of you have bought this one:

Soap and Other Obsessions (living green and naturally
By Zonella Gould and Sally Trew

Its a complete book on Making soap and other bath products.

It is 392 pages long. It is a great book, choked full of good information. It would be an excellent book for beginners. Even pros would find something new and useful I think. I'm really glad I bought it.

Has anyone else bought it?
I found it on Soapcalc.

x

i haven't seen this one before.

thanks for posting this, dixie, and i will certainly check it out. :D

i wonder if it might be available at amazon?

artisan soaps said:
I emailed the writers about it a couple of months back, but they wanted something like $120 to send it to NZ :shock:

So I bought Catherine Failor's 'Liquid Soaps' for a fraction of that cost instead :lol:

Holy crap that's crazy! They say $52.90 now, although I still think $12.00 to ship to NZ is high. I used to ship heavy stuff there all the time and that's silly.

I'll try and look for it from my local library.

I just ordered it from Amazon. I had to! Every single person on Amazon that reviewed it gave it 5 stars and said it was a must have. I'm excited! Thanks for recommending the book Dixie!

I posted about this book a few months ago. It looked interesting me too too but I thought it was pricey....
If you think it's worth the money, I might get it at some point.

LJA said:
I posted about this book a few months ago. It looked interesting me too too but I thought it was pricey....
If you think it's worth the money, I might get it at some point.

I remember that post. Thank you too for posting about it! I think I didn't think about it then because of the price. I didn't really even look into the book then. I love having reference books and I like having a book, other than my internet print outs, to look at. My library didn't carry it either.

I just got a notice that it already shipped via regular mail so I should probably get it early next week.

It is a little pricey. I normally spend max $25 on a book, but what the hey.

Get the ISBN, proper title, author etc from Amazon. If your local library doesn't have the book, complete a "Book Request Form" -- they will get it to you----may take weeks, but you'll get it. Libraries borrow books from other libraries and that's what the "Book Request Form" is all about. If the major library doesn't carry the book, usually they will buy it to get it into the system.

Milla let me know if the authors sign your book. They did mine....thought that was interesting.

LJA I deff. recommend it. Sorry I missed your post about the book:(

CastorFan said:
Get the ISBN, proper title, author etc from Amazon. If your local library doesn't have the book, complete a "Book Request Form" -- they will get it to you----may take weeks, but you'll get it. Libraries borrow books from other libraries and that's what the "Book Request Form" is all about. If the major library doesn't carry the book, usually they will buy it to get it into the system.

Just for the heck of it I logged onto MnLink Gateway, which accesses all of the libraries in MN and not one library has that book. I checked my other soap books and came up with pages of results (just to check my search abilities). I already bought the book so I don't need to request it, but thanks for posting this info because DH reads tons of books and now I can search for them.

Dixie said:
Milla let me know if the authors sign your book. They did mine....thought that was interesting.

Cool, I'll check when I get it!

I looked at the table of contents, and yes, it does look like a great book...very comprehensive.

For those budget minded folks, I think that "The Everything Soapmaking Book" by Alicia Grosso covers almost all the same topics (very well too) for a fraction of the cost.

Dixie said:

LJA I deff. recommend it. Sorry I missed your post about the book:(

Nonono...I'm just glad someone has info on it now!! Yay! I'm definitely gonna do that book request at my library. Right now, in fact....

They probably want an arm and 2 legs to ship to Canada . I have to check it out anyway :D

Kitn

Unfortunately, my library and the 30+ others in the consortium still do not carry it. :cry: The last time I asked our interloan librarian to find it, it was not in ANY library, so don't be disappointed if you can't get it. (That was a few months ago) :cry:

I would like to try hp soaping and just bought Delores Boone's book "handcrafted soap." I took a copy out the the library first and liked the pictures. Does anyone have this?

Jude

heyjude said:
Unfortunately, my library and the 30+ others in the consortium still do not carry it. :cry: The last time I asked our interloan librarian to find it, it was not in ANY library, so don't be disappointed if you can't get it. (That was a few months ago) :cry:

I would like to try hp soaping and just bought Delores Boone's book "handcrafted soap." I took a copy out the the library first and liked the pictures. Does anyone have this?

Jude

Same here, Jude. I just checked. Bummer.

heyjude said:

Jude

That's the book I learned how to do HP from as well as watching keith brown's HP Tutorial. I kept renewing it from the library. I made the american castile recipe from that book and a few others. She's actually pretty right on with lye and water, although I run it through soap calc myself. I think in general those recipes are soft, but after air drying they harden up. I also probably use more FO than she does, but I was happy with the book.

Latest posts

Back