Grapeseed or EVOO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobellius

Reaction score
Just curious which you all prefer between the two. Soapcalc says the grapeseed is slightly more conditioning than EVOO, but what I like about it is that it doesn't have an oily smell.
Also, I sold my first two bars yesterday! I didn't even mean to, I brought them as a gift for my lady friend I was having breakfast with and the waitress wanted them so bad that she let me sell them to her LOL
Two bars went for $4, and I left that $4 dollars for a tip ;D

I prefer olive, but I don't bother with EVOO. In soap, there is little/no difference between regular golden olive oil (or light olive oil) and EVOO except cost. And I think the scent of the regular olive is milder. Of course, that doesn't carry through the saponification process either way. Grapeseed has a shorter shelf life and can cause DOS if you use it in large amounts. I haven't had trouble with it in small amounts, though.

I use the lighter olive oil, not EVOO. The price difference makes my choice, and also because I can't tell any difference in the feel of finished soap, just that the EVOO tends to make it a darker color.

I would avoid grapeseed oil in large amounts because it has a short shelf life and since there is leftover oil from the superfat level, I wouldn't want to risk rancidity in soap :)

danahuff - you're from Woostah? I'm from Salem! I'm being forced to live in Texas right now though :(

danahuff - you're from Woostah? I'm from Salem! I'm being forced to live in Texas right now though :(

Yep! Love Salem! We are thinking of making a weekend trip some time this summer. Though the locals around here say it "Wistah," don't you know! :p

Where in Texas?

Grapeseed has predominantly linoleic fatty acids. Olive is mostly oleic fatty acids. The "conditioning" number is the sum of those two percentages, so it doesn't tell you anything about that difference. The iodine number and INS numbers for grapeseed are quite a bit higher than that of olive -- those numbers (besides looking at the fatty acid profile) tell you that grapeseed is much more polyunsaturated than olive.

Both certainly do add conditioning. Linoleic acids are less stable than oleic, so unsaponified grapeseed oil in your soap is more likely to go rancid quicker. A high % of saponified grapeseed may make a softer soap that takes longer to come to trace, longer to unmold, and longer to harden up. Grapeseed would be a minor ingredient (10-15%) in my recipes.

Yep! Love Salem! We are thinking of making a weekend trip some time this summer. Though the locals around here say it "Wistah," don't you know! :p

Where in Texas?

I got that "coastal" slang and probably say: wustah :) My mom's family is all from the Whitinsville area - not too far from you.

I'm stuck in DFW - hot and ugly. We're heading home for two weeks at the end of this month - yay!!! I hear some fried clams calling my name.

Back